P67 + Marvell HyperDuo Technology

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

P67 + Marvell HyperDuo Technology

Postposted on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:25 pm

For anyone using a P67 chipset, who has been interesting in the Marvell SSD Caching "HyperDuo", I'm sure you've read that it can be done even though its not technically supported by Asus or Marvell.
However, I ran into some interesting bit of information in my struggle to try and enable SSD Caching on my current board (Asus P67 Sabertooth)

Marvell lists their only "supported" controller as being the 9130 (which comes in a variety of Intel Z77 chipset/motherboards and others). However this isn't 100% correct as Asus paid Marvell for their ability to run the technology on the Asus P8P67 Evo which has a Marvell 9128 controller. So this leads me to believe that the majority of the "limitations" are not hardware, but instead software. My motherboard (the P67 Sabertooth) uses a Marvell 9120 controller and the Asus SSD Cache software returns an error regarding HyperDuo.dll.

Does anyone know if this is truly a hardware issue or is there some way to tweak the software to recognize/allow the 9120 controller to run HyperDuo? Here is a "detailed" PDF from Marvell themselves bunching the 9128/9120/9125 together. They appear to be the same damn thing, with a few features disabled. The only "concerning" thing to me is that the 9120 does not support RAID, which makes me wonder if HyperDuo uses partial RAID functionality to create the SSD Cache setup. Considering that all other accounts I've seen refer to the SSD caching as combining the HDD and SSD into one logical disk to the system (sounds like a RAID function).

Anyone with more controller knowledge care to share?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

i5-2500K|Asus P67 Sabertooth|16GB Corsair 1600|MSI 7850 2GB|250gb Evo 840|Corsair 400R|ET750w PSU|Logitech G5|Dell 2420L|Corsair Vengeance 1300
Welch
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Return to Storage