Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

T Materene
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

IBM Deskstar GXP60

Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:51 pm

Okay, it's gone now after one year like all the rest, who do you contact to get a RMA ? The IBM site is the worst website in the industry for finding anything. I guess they planned ahead !

This thing has lost 9 megabytes of storage and still lets me boot, but it will not load a large game or let me use the D drive 100% of the time. I get conflicting infomation of disc scans and reformatted three times now and it still shows the same areas damaged, one scan says the problems have been repaired ! In laymans terms , it is dead. Crazy but it still lets me surf the net and download from peer to peer, and even burn cd's.

This one goes with the 8500 ATI that was bad right out of the box. This is the worst machine I ever built and it was built with nothing but the best brands. A real dissapointment for sure. The next one will be built with the
cheapest stuff on the shelves, no more name brands for me. Just too much cost cutting at our expense.

Reply's welcome on the contact for warranty
Tom

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:55 pm

Well since IBM sold their hard drive business to Hitachi...

Not sure who is responsible for maintaining the warranties on already-sold drives, however.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:01 pm

You would think IBM would and SHOULD be responsible...the corporate cut and run has gotten to the point it is just plain f....ng robbery!! :x

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Support and Warranty RMA for IBM/Hitachi Deskstar 60GXP

Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:05 pm

Just how hard did you look for support? It really isn't hard to find.

http://www.hgst.com/support/index.html

Use the DFT (Drive Fitness Test) software to test and repair your drive (all data will be lost).

http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Tech support is going to want the result codes from DFT before they issue you an RMA.

http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/pre_rma.htm

T Materene
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thanks for the infomation

Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:15 am

Downloaded the Drive Fitness Test and other recommended stuff from Hitachi. It confirms the drive is defective and issued an TRC number.
Don't think I'll even try the repair the DFT offers, I think the windows scan disk is probably just as good . After three or four trys I think another program couldn't be much better. Might wait until the very last moment before I fdisk it and return it , just to see if maybe the repair might have another chance.
Thanks to all for the good infomation, happy fourth and don't drown in Alabama ! I'm a native Houstonian who left twenty years ago. Now I don't worry about high water. Today it hit around 112 here outside Vegas.
I'm coming home one of these days, it's just too hot .

Tom

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: Thanks for the infomation

Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:20 am

T Materene wrote:
Downloaded the Drive Fitness Test and other recommended stuff from Hitachi. Don't think I'll even try the repair the DFT offers, I think the windows scan disk is probably just as good. After three or four trys I think another program couldn't be much better.

DFT is a low-level drive utility. It will fix a large number of problems that scandisk has no chance of repairing. At this point, what do you have to lose if you give it a try?

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:36 pm

This is true. Scandisk and a low-level format do completely different things to a drive.