Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Re: UEFI and GPT Questions

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:54 am

Many ARM devices were already locked down before secure boot, so I don't really see where it changed anything. Then there's the whole larger debate of appliance vs general computing device.

At which point this conversation just doesn't seem to be about secure boot anymore. It's something much bigger.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:53 pm

My system seems to have a strange behavior. Plugging in a formatted or even a "foreign" disk sometimes causes it to go into a boot/reboot loop, where Windows 8 briefly shows a message "Preparing for Automatic Repair", then just goes right back to rebooting.

The first time it happened was just after I formatted my HDD with the Windows 8 disk management service. I decided to see what Acronis Disk Director 11 could tell me about the disk, so I booted from my Acronis boot disk. The HDD was in MBR. I converted it to GPT, then redefined all of the HDD partitions. This time, Windows 8 booted correctly.

The second time the "endless boot loop" happened was when I plugged in my old Windows 7 production HDD to copy some of the contents to the new one. The 7 HDD is MBR, (and should remain so...and I don't think this is an MBR vs. GPT issue anyhow), so I decided just for fun to see if I could boot Windows 8 without the old HDD, then hot-swap it in. I had to go into the BIOS and turn on hot-swap for that SATA port, but sure enough it worked!

I am concerned about how much trouble it's going to be when I need to add or remove drives down the road. But for now...it's going okay.

One other weird thing was when I woke up, the PC had gone to sleep. Upon waking it, I was presented with a screen that said that Windows was unable to authorize itself, but there was a button "authorize", so I clicked it. It confirmed success. That was odd because I had been using it for hour before that and was always connected to the internet.

Well, onward and upward. Back to copying data... :)

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:46 pm

Just for yuks, have you installed the newest storage/chipset drivers from Intel or whoever made your chipset? I had a new Dell that was noticeably unstable in Win8 until they released a few drivers certified for that OS - I'd been using Win7 drivers prior to this.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:11 pm

BIF wrote:
My system seems to have a strange behavior. Plugging in a formatted or even a "foreign" disk sometimes causes it to go into a boot/reboot loop, where Windows 8 briefly shows a message "Preparing for Automatic Repair", then just goes right back to rebooting.

I've encountered this in TPM-equipped laptops, where if I have my cell phone plugged into a USB on boot, boot freezes until I unplug the phone.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

morphine
TR Staff

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:23 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
BIF wrote:

I've encountered this in TPM-equipped laptops, where if I have my cell phone plugged into a USB on boot, boot freezes until I unplug the phone.

Likewise.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(