Replacing a Laptop Primary HDD

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

Replacing a Laptop Primary HDD

Postposted on Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:56 pm

The laptop is an Asus G73SW built sometime in 2010 or 2011. The original HDD is only 500 GB and lately I've been travelling with three external 2.5" drives for photos, videos, and sound samples, and a fourth 3.5" drive for backups.

It's time to move the data into the laptop and reduce the load in my backpack. You'd be shocked how quickly things add up when you're carrying cables, hubs, and power supplies for all this junk. Plus a second laptop for work...and through airports, even! :o :x

So the first phase is to put a 1TB drive into that first bay in the laptop. I'm planning to use Macrium Reflect's "bare metal restore" feature, partly because I have not yet tested it and I want to see if it works or if it breaks my Windows 8. I also plan to add a second hard drive right afterward, but that is a customary task for me so it's not the main scope of this thread.

Here's my proposed procedure:

1. Use Macrium to take a fresh warm backup image of my Windows partition. This one will not be used for the recovery. (done)

2. Boot to standalone Reflect (USB stick) and take a cold backup image of the Windows partition. This cold image will be the one used for the bare-metal restore. Backup drive is an external 4TB box with a 3.5" drive inside and plenty of freespace. (in progress)

3. Pull the original HDD out of the laptop.

4. Put the new 1TB HDD into the laptop.

5. Boot to standalone Reflect and perform a "bare metal recovery" using the cold image taken in 2 above. The partitions being recovered will be the Recovery and C: partitions. (please see my question below regarding the recovery partition)

6. Add a second HDD and rebuild/enlarge my other partitions with Acronis Disk Director. I won't go into detail here because it would just confuse matters in this thread (I've done all this before anyway).

My Conundrum:

The initial recovery partition (the first active partition on the original HDD) is 25 GB, 14 GB in use. It was on the drive from the time that the laptop was a Windows 7 machine from Asus. It is now a Windows 8 machine and I do not plan to go back to Windows 7 for this system. I've been using Windows 8 since the RTM last year, and have decided to stick with it.

If I keep good backup practices, I'll always have a valid current backup, and would never EVER need my old Windows 7 recovery partition, correct? Or maybe Windows 8 Upgrade made some updates there?

Not sure how to proceed here. Do I need to recover the "recovery" partition along with my C: partition? Or leave a blank partition there? Or "other"? And, if I later install a Linux or boot-time tools, will it damage the recovery partition?

I need some help deciding what to do for "the now".

Thanks in advance!
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Re: Replacing a Laptop Primary HDD

Postposted on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:37 pm

Hmmm, reading the Macrium help file, I see that I might not need to do a "redeploy"; just recover the partition to the new drive. Motherboard, processor, chipset are not being changed; only the hard drive is being upgraded.
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:27 pm

This time I decided to just restore the recovery partition. I figure I can make adjustments some other time. It's only 25 GB in size, which is 2.5% of the size of the new drive, and less than 1% of the size of both (2 TB total). It's Saturday and I refuse to agonize over this one. :)
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:36 pm

If I keep good backup practices, I'll always have a valid current backup, and would never EVER need my old Windows 7 recovery partition, correct? Or maybe Windows 8 Upgrade made some updates there?

I know you've decided to keep your recovery partition, but if you ever decide to wipe it, here's some info that might be helpful.

Windows 8 Upgrade will let you do a clean install without a pre-existing OS on the drive.

BUT it will refuse to activate on a clean install.

Fortunately, you can disable this with a registry hack: http://www.ghacks.net/2012/10/27/windows-8-upgrade-clean-install-possible/

Did this on my wife's thinkpad when our SSD failed and we had to move back to the HDD.
Wind, Sand and Stars.
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:37 pm

The tiny aluminum mounting bracket for the hard-drive in your Asus ROG notebook is an expensive little item. I used a bit of tape to anchor the second drive in an Asus G50VT (SSD for OS + Scorpio Black for files). I'm certain that you've already considered that you could remove your 5¼" optical drive to install a third hard-drive in your notebook, if it comes to that.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:03 pm

Voldenuit, thanks for the reference material.

JAE, yep I paid $25 plus another $10 or so for the privilege of having it shipped from California, and it didn't even come with screws. The nerve! They'll probably still request demand a bailout in a couple years. :-?

Haha, anyway, I looked in my parts bin (who doesn't have one of THOSE!) and I did find some screws to attach the drive to the bracket. Slightly bigger heads, but they will still fit in the bay. What I'm short on is screws to attach the bracket to the chassis, but as luck would have it, they are the same as those holding the bottom plate onto the laptop, so at least the drives will be firmly secured. The bottom plate fits and "clicks" into place and will hold itself under light use. For now I'll use a bit of clear packing tape to ensure it doesn't become airborne, and I'll have some time to source a new pair of screws.

I seriously considered taking out the CD drive and putting in one of those caddys you mentioned. Might still do it at some point, but for the moment, I think I'll be able to fit all of my audio samples in 2TB, at least for the mobile rig.

And maybe by the time I run out of space they'll have 2TB laptop drives. :D

My recovery and C: restores are over halfway done. After I verify basic functionality, I'll set up the remaining cloning operations and let them run the rest of the evening.
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:57 pm

Update:

The standalone restore of Recovery and C: ended successfully. While they were running, I did some reading of the Macrium help file on my main workstation, and I learned that upon restore, the user is allowed to resize the partitions.

This got me to thinking that with C: up and running and all of my critical utilities living on the C: partition, I should be able to boot Windows 8, start Macrium from there, and run the remaining restores from prior backups. The laptop has been sitting here for over a week, only running folding and normal maintenance (backups, defrags).

What an ideal opportunity to "make believe" that my original laptop primary drive had completely failed and now I have to rely solely on my backups. There should be no lost data even for the partitions that have gone almost a week without a backup (that's why they don't get backed up every day, they never get changed).

Another benefit to this method is that I can plug my 4TB backup drive into a USB 3.0 port. It's a long story, but it must be plugged into a USB 2.0 port when booting to a rescue disk or thumb drive or the Asus won't boot.

Switching my strategy to a "restore everything" is a better test I think, and will also prove to me whether or not my FULL + INCREMENTAL backup images are good and are properly restored.

Now, the above plan is as follows:

4. Install 1TB drive in boot position, use standalone Reflect to restore "Recovery" and "C:" to it. (DONE)

5. Shut down, install second 1TB drive into second SATA position, boot into normal Windows 8 on the drive restored in "4" above. (DONE; successful)

6. Use Disk Management to create a new 17GB Swap partition on the second internal drive (PC has 12 GB RAM, max is 16GB...With Windows 8 I now "let Windows Manage" my virtual memory. (DONE)

7. Start Reflect in Windows 8 and proceed to restore my apps and data partitions (In Progress Now; some are already done)

So far it's going much more smoothly than I could have expected, but yeah...2 TB is not going to be enough, especially if I want to try multibooting Linux at some point. Very soon I may need to add that third drive or carry one external 1TB USB 3.0 drive after all. :o
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:13 am

The last restore finished up a couple hours ago, without any trouble at all.

Running defrags now on boot and application drives before I reboot and take fresh full backups. Then I'll be in good shape. Now every partition has "some" freespace on it, and I can go back and undo some fancy shortcutting I had to implement a few weeks ago, yay!
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:01 am

Last knight BIF I prayed to the holy father again for you. And wouldn't you know a monk was possessed by the holy father and said" does bif have a USB3 HDD dock that supports 2.5 and 3.5" Drives in a booming voice" :o I replied I dunno holy father but ill pass it along to bif ASAP but I suspect he is using one now. The booming voice started again from the poor soft spoken monk all while the other monks were kneeling and praying feverishly "If he has not been using a USB3 or Esata HDD dock it can save a lot of space since all the drives can be held in the static bags they come in. Also mention they make dual HD docks too that will sport 2 drives at once" the poor possessed monk went limp and dropped to his knees and said in a scratchy voice...I quit! And you now what I am going to go get drunk and laid! The other monks shriek in fear saying how the holy father gave him the gift to speak for him. The quitting monk said see if you like having a giant god hand up you butt controlling you like a puppet sock! I am outta here before Vargis asks him any more questions!!!! :evil:
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:43 am

Oooohhkaaayyyyy....

Thank you for your input. :lol:
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:30 am

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call a PUI :lol:
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:42 am

morphine wrote:And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call a PUI :lol:

The only remaining question is "what was the I"?
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:57 am

Captain Ned wrote:The only remaining question is "what was the I"?

Whatever he had, I'll have a double!
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:52 am

I'd be afraid that a double of THAT could kill me! :lol:
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Return to Storage