SSD setup with cloning software in Kingston SSD kit - good?

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

SSD setup with cloning software in Kingston SSD kit - good?

Postposted on Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:10 am

Hi all,

I have a box behind me that needs to be upgraded to 32gb RAM, which is the easy bit. The harder bit is upgrading to an SSD. I have two options:

1. Leave the OS (Win 8.1, urgh but needed on that box for testing) on the current drive, add the SSD as a new drive and move the database over to it. So i miss out on faster OS and app boots but get the db on their which is the main upgrade purpose.

2. Attempt to clone the current drive onto the new SSD and just use the SSD. Better as everything faster.

As a programmer I have a number of products from MS as part of their action pack deal, such as Visual Studio, and I'm worried if I simply clean install onto the SSD it will inevitably take up some of my 'seats' on the product keys, this could probably be resolved with MS if needs be, but its a pain.

With option 2 I was looking at the Kingston 240GB SSDNow V300 SSD Upgrade Kit, pretty reasonably priced in the UK - does anyone know how good the clone software is - does it simply 'just work'? Or any suggested alternative with similar functionality?
knightsy
Gerbil

Re: SSD setup with cloning software in Kingston SSD kit - go

Postposted on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:16 am

I've bought those Kingston sandforce-based drives before. They're often the cheapest, even in kit form, but I've never used the bundled cloning software.

If you're buying that drive specifically for the cloning software, don't - get yourself a 250GB Samsung 840 Evo and use freeware like Clonezilla Live to image the new SSD instead.
The Evo is significantly faster (and 10GB larger too). I'm assuming you want a 250GB drive since all 120GB drives have lower write performance and the cheapest reputable places to get it from are going to be Ebuyer, Lambdatek, CCL and Dabs.

Clone the entire drive so that your license seats won't be affected. With Clonezilla it will clone directly from a smaller disk to a larger disk, then you just open up the Disk Management Console and extend the partition into the unused space.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Return to Storage