HDD won't boot in AHCI mode after Win8.1 update

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

HDD won't boot in AHCI mode after Win8.1 update

Postposted on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:58 pm

Sort of a weird problem here. A while back I started installing the Windows 8.1 update, then went and took a nap. When I woke up, my PC was on but showing a black screen, like it had failed to boot. So I restarted it and pressed tab to display the startup info, and it was hanging on "Auto-Detecting AHCI PORT 1...," which is my hard drive. I then had to clear CMOS so that I could get into the BIOS to switch my SATA configuration to IDE mode, and from there everything worked fine. I was worried about switching from AHCI to IDE, since I know Windows can have problems when you do the opposite, but everything seems okay.

My question is, what the heck happened during that update that caused my motherboard to stop recognizing my hard drive in AHCI mode? And is there any way I can get AHCI mode back? I know there's really not much benefit over IDE mode, but it's just one of those little things that's gonna bug me now.
AustinW
Gerbil

Re: HDD won't boot in AHCI mode after Win8.1 update

Postposted on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:00 pm

Boot into Safe Mode with AHCI enabled. You should be able to install the drivers then. Afterwards, reboot back into normal mode and away you go.

This also works for switching from AHCI to RAID mode (I did this on my 8.1 system after finding Storage Spaces to be terrible).
ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:52 pm

The thing is, when it's in AHCI mode it won't even get to the Windows part of the boot sequence, so it can't be a driver issue. I tried moving my hard drive to a different SATA port, but it still hangs on "Auto-Detecting AHCI PORT [HDD port #].." when set to AHCI mode.
AustinW
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:08 pm

Here's what I did to go in the opposite direction (to use RAID with Rapid Storage) Boot in mode that works right now (RAID for you). From the Charms bar, pick Change PC settings -> Recovery -> Startup and dig around for the startup option to do Advanced Reboot. choose Reboot now, dive into the UEFI, and choose where you want to me (AHCI). Then when it boots into Windows you'll get the startup menu and be able to choose safe mode. Boot into safe mode, log in, and then reboot normally.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:22 pm

I revise my former statement; maybe this is a driver issue. I tried to reinstall the Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver for my board from ASUS's website but it refuses to install. It installed fine with Windows 8, but I guess the 8.1 update finally broke it (the driver is from September 2009). I guess I'll just have to live with IDE mode.
AustinW
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:24 pm

Try this. It's for Win7, but I'm sure you can figure it out.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:35 pm

You don't need the Intel drivers to run in AHCI. Uninstall those drivers and use the built in Microsoft ones.

If you really want to use the Intel drivers, here is the newest release.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail ... 1&lang=eng
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:14 pm

I'm curious, did the 8.1 update leave everything intact? It sounds like 8.1 is less of a service pack and more of a new OS install.
meerkt
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:24 pm

meerkt wrote:I'm curious, did the 8.1 update leave everything intact? It sounds like 8.1 is less of a service pack and more of a new OS install.

In terms of the new functionality/features it brings, it's a service pack. But the upgrade mechanism is more like a fresh install followed by a settings migration. Not unlike upgrading from Windows 7 to 8.
DougG
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:13 pm

Sounds worrying. Messier than usual.
meerkt
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:30 pm

No issues with 8.1 here. But if you want to use the intel drivers don't get the Asus ones, get the latest version from www.intel.com
Phaleron
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:55 pm

meerkt wrote:Sounds worrying. Messier than usual.

it went great for me on an FM2-based system and a Z77-based system. No problems, and everything was still there.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:22 am

Also wonder if those 3-4GB install requirement are temporary or permanent. I'll have to see for myself eventually.

Sorry for the partial hijack.
meerkt
Gerbil

Return to Storage