HGST 7K4 - great drive, not available

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

HGST 7K4 - great drive, not available

Postposted on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:51 pm

Comrades

About a year and a half ago I bought an HGST 7K4 at an NCIX sale for about $170CDN. It was a risky thing to do, I was adding it to a RAW photo and HD video editing system, and WD Caviar Black drives were the performance standard, but I was getting twice the storage for less money so I went for it. The 7K4 turned out to be faster than the WD Black 2tb it was sitting beside and it's been bulletproof reliability wise. Now I want another and my only option is the WD Black 4tb which is more expensive (twice as much) and according to this article on storage review...

http://www.storagereview.com/wd_black_4 ... wd4001faex

...is not as fast. Bummer! It seems that WD has buried the 7K4.

I am wondering if anyone can confirm that the HGST Tuoro Desk 4tb has a 7K4 inside of it. If so, it would be a good deal.

Thanks in advance.
i7 2600k @ 4.7 GHZ | 16GB G-Skill DDR3-1600 | Asus P8P67 Pro | PCP&C Silencer 750 | Corsair Graphite 600T |
Boot: OCZ Vertex 3 120gb | Media: 2x WD Black 2Tb |HD 6950 | Dell u2771 | Benq FP231W |
Acer 1810TZ | 4GB RAM | OCZ Vertex 2 120gb |
Plazmodeus
Gerbil XP

Re: HGST 7K4 - great drive, not available

Postposted on Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:12 pm

I want to get a 1TB Hitachi for similar reasons, but they don't seem to be available anymore and the one surviving Ultrastar has some mixed reviews. Any thoughts or recommendations on places to look would be appreciated, as I'm nervous about going from a drive that I know kicks ass to chancing it on something new (yes I realize external drives suck but it doesn't exaxtly instill confidence in OEM internals either).
NovusBogus
Gerbil XP

Re: HGST 7K4 - great drive, not available

Postposted on Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:36 pm

WD didn't "bury" the Hitachi 3.5" drive line after they acquired HGST, they were forced to spin it off to Toshiba by the anti-trust regulators. I suggest you look into what's currently available from Toshiba; anything in 3.5" form factor with a SATA interface is likely to be a HGST-designed drive in disguise.

The HGST desktop drives remaining in the channel are likely all "new old stock" from before the WD/HGST/Toshiba deal was finalized.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Return to Storage