server 2008 backup hard drive

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

server 2008 backup hard drive

Postposted on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:47 am

I've had to get a new drive for use with the built in windows backup tool in sbs2008.

Without thinking I saw a good deal on a 4TB external and brought it only to discover that it wouldn't work since it's a 4K native drive (4k physical / 4k logical). I'd kind of skipped over reading up on 4K drives when they first appeared and now my head hurts from my quick crash course and I just want to check a few things.

- Am I right in thinking that there is no way to use the 4TB drive I've already brought? I installed some updates that allowed me to partition and format it but of course the backup tool still doesn't work because it expects 512 sectors. Also the server has a tendency to blue screen when copying lots of data to the drive so it's not like I could use different backup software.

- Would a drive with 512e sectors work? It seems like it should but it's very hard to determine what external drives support it!

Posts like this one illustrate what I mean:
http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/crawl_message?board.id=PersonalStorage&message.id=14852
It looks like all I should have to do is pick a seagate drive with "smartalign" and forget about it but while smartalign is given as a spec on internal drives it doesn't seem to get mentioned for externals. I can always buy the enclosure separately I suppose but any other suggestions?
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!
cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: server 2008 backup hard drive

Postposted on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:19 am

Server 2008 = Vista, which should have 4K support already. Taking out the drive and making it internal would definitely work.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510009
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: server 2008 backup hard drive

Postposted on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:36 pm

The problem is that even though the OS understands 4K sectors the windows backup tool doesn't and just throws IO errors.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!
cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Return to Storage