Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sleeping HDrives spin up...Not using them.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:09 am

Any way to stop W7/64 Pro from spinning up the Hds when I'm saving stuff to my SSD?
Mp3 are set to save to the SSD but click on one and you can hear the Hds spin up.

I want the Hds to wake up WHEN I use them not on the off chance that I might use them.

Thanks,
jmc2

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Sleeping HDrives spin up...Not using them.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:16 am

Same thing happens to me. I don't think there's a way to stop the spin-up. In those situations, the SSD is actually slowing me down. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:08 am

Was afraid of that.

I just selected the 4 mp3s I DLed to the SSD and placed them in the center of the desktop
and the Hds spun up. And I could not move them till after the spin up. :(

This plus the added wear I've read about (of Hd spin up)... I may turn sleep off. :(

thanks,
jmc2

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:20 am

Haven't you perchance redirected your Documents/Desktop folder to one of the HDDs?
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:54 pm

Clicking on my user name and right clicking to properties on the list there shows everything to
on C: my SSD.

There is one I did yesterday and that is update all the drivers on my Asus Sabertooth X79 motherboard
from the original ones. (did not update the Bios tho... there have been 18 bios updates in ...2 years!)

Previously I had the HDs set to sleep but never heard them wake up like I do now.
I use to notice a "little" delay on opening one of the Hds (1 second or less). Guessing
from what they are doing now that they were not ever asleep.

Thanks for the thoughts!
jmc2

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:06 pm

My guess is that file explorer is polling all attached devices and that's what's causing it. Any file-save dialog box will probably do it.

Heh, this is pretty much identical to your issue:
http://forums.storagereview.com/index.p ... ndary-hdd/

Some more stuff, one of them found a service that was doing it:
http://superuser.com/questions/560805/w ... ondary-hdd
http://superuser.com/questions/370207/d ... s-explorer

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:30 pm

I believe Scrotos is right about the cause - every file open or save dialog requires my 3 internal HDDs AND my USB 3.0 backup drive to spin up.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:08 pm

I've never ever had success getting unused secondary drives to stay powered down, any use of file explorer or my computer seems to spin them up. I've just been disabling the sleep function entirely for years to minimize the wear & file explorer lag.

BIF

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:11 pm

Just a curious afterthought/observation...

I have not noticed my NAS spin up with an open or save-as dialog. It only spins up if I open a relevant path in Windows Explorer. Sure, the NAS is a little Linux server, so probably has something to do with that. As I said, just an observation.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:15 pm

BIF wrote:
Just a curious afterthought/observation...

I have not noticed my NAS spin up with an open or save-as dialog. It only spins up if I open a relevant path in Windows Explorer. Sure, the NAS is a little Linux server, so probably has something to do with that. As I said, just an observation.

I think Windows treats network drives differently and allows them to be in a "disconnected" state until a connection is explicitly forced. At my workplace right now, I have a bunch of mapped drives and drive W: has a red X on it. If I explicitly click on it, it takes a few seconds and then the files appear and can be traversed without any lag/lack of speed.

SuperSpy

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:43 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I believe Scrotos is right about the cause - every file open or save dialog requires my 3 internal HDDs AND my USB 3.0 backup drive to spin up.

It probably wants something like the free space map. It wouldn't surprise me if Linux cached that data and Windows, for whatever reason, didn't.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

Manala
Gerbil In Training

Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:57 am

I have this same problem, but unfortunately it isn't limited only for local drives. Nor does it need a file open or save dialog. All I have to do is highlight a file in drive C: (SSD) and right click to open the windows explorer menu for cut/copy/paste or check properties my NAS drives spin up. This is really frustrating because one of my NAS drives is some kind of super eco drive and spins up very slowly. So every time I would like to cut & paste a file inside drive C from one folder to another, I have to wait almost 10 seconds for my network backup drives to spin up. This is just stupid and unbearable. Oddly if I don't right click the file to open the menu but use keyboard commands instead (Ctrl-X + Ctrl-V) the network drives stay silent.