IBM 75GXP trouble???

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

Postposted on Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:13 am

When I upgrade my BIOS for the Abit KT7A-Raid to the latest bios with 2.31 Highpoint Bios, I notice that my system becomes very unstable. My IBM is installed in IDE3. Has anybody expereince this problem???
fmatic
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:37 am

IMO Your first mistake was getting an IBM deskstar GXP!! :razz:
"Where is that shuttle going?"
-Vader, Return of the Jedi
"I don't know...fly casual!!"
-Solo, Return of the Jedi
tyderium
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:26 am

On 2002-03-27 00:13, fmatic wrote:
When I upgrade my BIOS for the Abit KT7A-Raid to the latest bios with 2.31 Highpoint Bios, I notice that my system becomes very unstable. My IBM is installed in IDE3. Has anybody expereince this problem???

Instability a hard drive does not make. Either it works or it doesn't. A change in BIOS can make a system unstable. Check the memory timings and other performance settings in the BIOS for changes. And if nothing else, go back to the previous BIOS revision and see if it clears up the instability.
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Mar 27, 2002 2:08 pm

Beg to differ. Had a system running Win2k with the swap on an old 1.2GB drive and was getting a blue screen once every couple hours. Turns out the drive is dying a slow death and when the system went to page any slight error on the drive would drop the system to the BSOD. Moved the swap back to the main drive and it's been working fine ever since.

If the BIOS upgrade caused the problem, the only solution I can think of is to downgrade to the version you were using before.
Steel
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Mar 27, 2002 2:11 pm

I agree, sounds like a BIOS problem.

IBM drives either start to die with a clicking noise or they just fail completely.

BTW, I own six GXP's all running reliably for as long as 18 months 24/7. I found out early that these drives run hot, heat is bad, so all IBM drives get actively cooled; seems to do the trick.
fink
Gerbil First Class

Return to Storage