Samsung Spinpoint M9T 2TB 2.5" 9.5mm HDD

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

Samsung Spinpoint M9T 2TB 2.5" 9.5mm HDD

Postposted on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:41 pm

I just picked up a 2TB storage drive (the first model to be 9.5mm) for my Thinkpad's Ultrabay adapter, which requires standard-sized hard drives. Since the bare drive still isn't available, I went with the $129.99 Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2 TB USB 3.0 and removed the external enclosure with a guitar pick. I got the grey one, if that matters.

Removing the enclosure wasn't trivial and I damaged it by being impatient. I think it's possible to pull it off, but you'd really have to be methodical and loosen the enclosure's metal top all the way around before trying to remove it. Push the guitar pick up toward the metal top from below and slide it around the circumference to loosen the plastic tabs. This one had some fairly sticky tape on the lid; pulling before you have even leverage all the way around and under the top will cause the thin metal top to bend and split. Be careful with the connection inside of the case as it's really not meant to be touched outside of the assembly process. Pull it apart and it's a normal 2.5" hard drive.

So here's Seagate's Momentus ST2000LM003 (pdf) and/or the Samsung's Spinpoint M9T 2TB 2.5" 9.5mm HDD announced this past November. My second photo shows "M9T" written on the bottom.

Unfortunately, they've already pushed the price up to $149.99 since 2014-01-17. Sorry about the late notice.

Image Image
i5-3570K@4533MHz|GTX980|Dell U2711
Dashak
Gerbil First Class

Re: Samsung Spinpoint M9T 2TB 2.5" 9.5mm HDD

Postposted on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:19 am

Woah, that's the first one I've seen in consumer hands in the wild. Nice find!
continuum
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Return to Storage