Raid problem, need advice

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

Raid problem, need advice

Postposted on Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:52 pm

I have a six year old server that is scheduled to be replaced at the end of the week. So of course, Friday it crashed.

It's an Intel s5000vsa motherboard with built in hardware raid II. It has been running fine. recently we've had some power outages that happened during the night and the UPS ran out of juice. Brought the server back up and it seemed ok. But occasionally seemed slow. I figured the raid was just cleaning itself up and eventually it started running faster. This is a raid 5 with 4 drives running Windows 2003 small business server. On Friday it froze. Would not respond to keyboard or mouse. Hard reset, came up almost to login screen and restarted. Hit F8, told it to use most recent configuration that worked, came up and let me login. Was on for about 10 minutes and it froze again. I figured the raid must be damaged or a hard drive had failed. Rebooted and went into the raid bios. It says all drives running, no problems. Saturday around 3:00pm I started a consistency check. Went it Sunday morning and it's still running. As of 3:00 pm Sunday still running, but the display just says it's running, but no information updates.

So, do I allow it to continue running the consistency check? How long will it take with a raid 5 with 4 drives? Is there a chance this will fix the problem? I thought about interrupting it, rebooting into safe mode and running a chkdsk. I have seen various opinions whether this is a good or bad idea. All I need is for it to run 5 more days....
bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class

Re: Raid problem, need advice

Postposted on Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:48 am

The consistency check did nothing as far as I can tell. Rebooted and Windows 2003 would almost load, but then would reboot into a loop. Used F8 and chose "last known good configuration". Then I was able to get back into Windows. Ran for a day, with main sql application failing. Then it locked up again. Went through same procedure to get it back up. Finally the 0:0 drive started kicking up errors saying that it was going to fail. So I at least knew which drive was having the problem. I took the system down and added a new drive, leaving the failing one in. After getting back into windows with "last known good configuration" again, I stopped the sql and disabled unnecessary services. Setup the new drive as a hot swap and then proceeded to copy all the data so would not miss any changed files between the nightly backup and going an entire day and crashing before the nightly backup. Got all of the data off onto a new server and then the bad drive did fail, the new drive kicked in, and the raid rebuilt itself.
bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class

Return to Storage