Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Re: Next generation SSDs soon?

Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:35 am

DPete27 wrote:
The Egg wrote:
Your theory of the 2.5" form factor being the limitation for SSD sizes is laughable.

The Egg wrote:
My point is, I don't think form factor has anything to do with anything. We've had PCIe card SSDs all along with plenty of physical PCB space, and you still don't see anything over 1TB.

Here are some references related to these claims:
1) 2TB 2.5" and M.2 consumer SSDs (M.2 is roughly less than half the volume of a 2.5" SSD)
2) The inside of the SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD.
Size isn't the issue, its the prohibitive cost of 2TB+ SSDs. That's a price almost no consumer is going to pay. Heck, I wouldn't even look twice at anything over 500GB. If you've got more installed programs/games than that, you probably should uninstall them cause you're likely not using/playing them anyway. If your system only has support for one storage device (NUC/bookshelf systems/ultrathins/ultrabooks/laptops with no optical drive), get a USB3 external hard drive. I'd say the cost savings is worth the minor hassle.

With 30 and 50 gb games you are looking at about 20 games per tb. That isn't allot of games, and when you realize the install time on a game that size (because of download bandwidth) you realize if you play lots of games that a Tb is not enough for games going forward. HD assets are getting bigger and bigger.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:46 am

Well, game assets are getting bigger, but they should be. Still, *most* games run reasonably well off of a hard disc drive, and exceptions easily fit into a 256GB SSD alongside an OS for many people.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:38 pm

kamikaziechameleon wrote:
With 30 and 50 gb games you are looking at about 20 games per tb. That isn't allot of games

DPete27 wrote:
you probably should uninstall them cause you're likely not using/playing them anyway

I can't fathom that you're playing 20 games at the same time. If you are, maybe you should pick one (or 5?) and complete them. You can easily backup your savegames before you uninstall. Thay way, if you wanted to go back and play a game, re-install it, transfer your (small) savegame files into the install directory, and pick up where you left off. If not, what Airman said, install the games on a mechanical hdd. There WAS a time not too long ago when everybody gamed just fine on only mechanical hdds.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:05 pm

With 30 and 50 gb games you are looking at about 20 games per tb. That isn't allot of games, and when you realize the install time on a game that size (because of download bandwidth) you realize if you play lots of games that a Tb is not enough for games going forward. HD assets are getting bigger and bigger.

I don't mean to pick on you, but what games are you playing that take up 30-50GB?? I've got 89 titles currently installed for a total of 491GB, which comes out to an average of 5.52GB. Granted, a decent amount of those are small indie games, but the largest in my collection is still only 16.5GB.

DPete27 wrote:
I can't fathom that you're playing 20 games at the same time. If you are, maybe you should pick one (or 5?) and complete them. You can easily backup your savegames before you uninstall. Thay way, if you wanted to go back and play a game, re-install it, transfer your (small) savegame files into the install directory, and pick up where you left off. If not, what Airman said, install the games on a mechanical hdd. There WAS a time not too long ago when everybody gamed just fine on only mechanical hdds.

I game on a mechanical drive. In my opinion, using premium SSD space for games is a waste of money. It has no effect on gameplay whatsoever. The only benefit is shorter loading times, and quite honestly, 4 seconds instead of 12 is absolutely not worth the hassle (or cost). You spend much more time downloading and swapping out games so they can fit.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:48 pm

Try a Battlefield game :).

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:32 am

The Egg wrote:
I've got 89 titles currently installed for a total of 491GB, which comes out to an average of 5.52GB.

I've got 160+ games in Steam/Origin, but currently have 4 installed between them (SimCity 2013, Titanfall, Hardline Beta, Watch_Dogs). You can't possibly play all those at once, and you certainly don't need everything installed. I could never imagine wanting all my games installed at once. :o

The Egg wrote:
I game on a mechanical drive. In my opinion, using premium SSD space for games is a waste of money. It has no effect on gameplay whatsoever. The only benefit is shorter loading times, and quite honestly, 4 seconds instead of 12 is absolutely not worth the hassle (or cost).

Try playing BF:4, Hardline Beta or Titanfall - The difference is very noticeable.

The Egg wrote:
You spend much more time downloading and swapping out games so they can fit.

I don't have that problem - I bought a large enough SSD for my usage. :wink:
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:25 pm

I install everything to a hard drive, and then move to an SSD what I need when I need it. Never worry about space.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:08 pm

The Egg wrote:
I've got 89 titles currently installed for a total of 491GB

Airmantharp wrote:
I install everything to a hard drive, and then move to an SSD what I need when I need it. Never worry about space.

If you've got it, flaunt it I suppose. But I'm with geek, whats the difference installing it as soon as you buy it or letting it sit in your steam account and install it when you get around to actually playing the game. You still have the install time either way.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:13 pm

DPete27 wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

If you've got it, flaunt it I suppose. But I'm with geek, whats the difference installing it as soon as you buy it or letting it sit in your steam account and install it when you get around to actually playing the game. You still have the install time either way.

Well, I don't have everything installed- just what I might want to play (or still need to play... I've finally stopped buying games). But the point is, if I install something it goes to an HDD by default, and then gets moved over as needed. And while most games don't need it, BF4 occupies an old Vertex 2 alongside my Lightroom catalog, as two things I use most often that need the boost :).

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:24 pm

I got a 500gb Samsung EVO and I think that's all I'm ever going to need, at least until 4K becomes mainstream and games start taking up 100gb. Going to move my 256gb 840 over to my HTPC soon... just because.

I bought an SSD specifically for its load time benefits on top of all the other performance gains. As a recovering console gamer, I despise loading screens with a major passion, so I will do everything I can to minimize them - the thought of using mechanical storage for anything other than long term storage gives me chills.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:18 am

DPete27 wrote:
The Egg wrote:
I've got 89 titles currently installed for a total of 491GB

Airmantharp wrote:

*shrug* I install games when I buy them, and I generally only uninstall them when I have no intention to play them again. I use a 2TB Black for my games drive, so I don't really care about space. I've found that if I leave games uninstalled (which I've done by accident when buying multiple titles) I tend to forget that I even have them. This is especially true of small indie games.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:37 am

The Egg wrote:

I don't mean to pick on you, but what games are you playing that take up 30-50GB?? I've got 89 titles currently installed for a total of 491GB, which comes out to an average of 5.52GB. Granted, a decent amount of those are small indie games, but the largest in my collection is still only 16.5GB.

DPete27 wrote:

I game on a mechanical drive. In my opinion, using premium SSD space for games is a waste of money. It has no effect on gameplay whatsoever. The only benefit is shorter loading times, and quite honestly, 4 seconds instead of 12 is absolutely not worth the hassle (or cost). You spend much more time downloading and swapping out games so they can fit.

I find lots of games take up ever increasing levels of space as assets get higher res. But here is one game:
http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/11/titanfa ... y-respawn/

I have 750 gb on my games HDD right now. I alternate through lots of games regularly. I usually have one or two defacto games but then play through 10 diff games aside from those every month. I enjoy the broad experience of different games vs becoming SUPER AWESOME at CoD 5 MP.