Quick question about SSD

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

Quick question about SSD

Postposted on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:32 pm

Hello, I've had my gaming rig for around 3 years. I've been using optical drives one 750GB for my OS and Games and a 1T for my movies Music Pictures ETC. It's becoming more and more sluggish as my gaming library increases with games I will probably never even get to play (DAMN YOU STEAM SALES!) I want to make the switch to SSD. I have around $250 to spend and maybe even a little more if the deal is good enough. Now my questions is how can I move the OS without a fresh windows install and still keep all my files and everything as is? Thanks for your time ladies and gentlemen.
Skinney
Gerbil

Re: Quick question about SSD

Postposted on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:23 am

Sluggish as in general responsiveness of the system, even without launching a game, or the in-game fps and lag are worse? Because it may be the fact that your GPU is getting outdated?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:41 am

Many SSDs come with software to clone your old mechanical hard drive onto the SSD. It's a little more difficult if the target drive is smaller than the partition that is being cloned. I've not, however, actually gotten these to work though and just ended up reinstalling windows when I got a SSD.
kumori
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:57 am

If you already have a Western Digital hard drive in your rig then you can grab their free version of Acronis backup from their site and migrate to the new SSD.

Also note that Acronis makes a nice program called Disk Director which will allow you to shrink your old drive down so you can fit it on the new SSD, although you may need to uninstall/delete some stuff so it will actually fit.
MSI X58A-GD65, i7-920@3.8, EVGA 660 GTX SC SLI, Neutron 240 GB,2.75 TB Spindle Storage,ASUS DVD-RW, 6GB Patriot, Win 7 & 8.1 & Kubuntu Triple Boot, ASUS VK278 on DisplayPort.
zenlessyank
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:28 am

Flying Fox wrote:Sluggish as in general responsiveness of the system, even without launching a game, or the in-game fps and lag are worse? Because it may be the fact that your GPU is getting outdated?

1. Confirm this, please. We just want to make sure that an SSD will solve your problems :)

2. You should be able to migrate your image to a new drive so long as your image isn't larger than the target drive--as others have said.

3. However, a fresh install isn't necessarily a bad thing.

4. If #1 is playing a role, consider that with #3. If it's time for an upgrade, you may be happier saving up for fresh system (and that might be a better value path).

EDIT:

5. 240GB Crucial M500 for $230.
Being an adult doesn't mean you have to know what you're doing. It just means you have to look like you know what you're doing.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:47 pm

The problem with trying to migrate a Windows installation is picking out the things you need, i.e. you can't just ditch everything in Program Files so it will fit on the new disk. I've never tried it but once you have it down to a manageable size you should be able to either resize and copy the partition or create a new partition and copy the files. This may require manually installing a bootloader, which isn't too hard provided you've got a Windows disk.

That being said, this doesn't sound like something that an SSD upgrade would have any bearing on. Free space only affects performance when it's ~90% full and Windows is notorious for getting slower and slower over time because of all the crap it leaves lying around everywhere in the course of normal operation. Unless you're itching to spend money I'd start with a fresh install first.

edit: couple of other related points

-If your massive Steam library is the bottleneck, then a smaller SSD really isn't going to help unless you're prepared to aggressively manage it by constantly removing and re-downloading or cut-pasting and hoping the client doesn't burp. Think about it, if you have a 750GB drive full of games there's no way to compress that.

-Door number two, available if you have a supported Intel CPU and motherboard, is Smart Response. This lets you use an SSD as a 64GB cache, bringing most of the performance improvement without the hassle of managing a small logical drive.
NovusBogus
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:16 am

Well I accidentally deleted the deleted response I was gonna post so I'm gonna sum it up.

Sluggish response even when booting up, system takes a min to get going doing what I need to do.

I got a 660TI and a x4 Black edition AMD processor and I don't really have any problem running any game on ultra with 1900X1200.

Black Edition WD hard drive, currently at 120 GB free if 1TB

Seems a fresh install is gonna have to be the go to, my problem is that I have 700 GB of data that I don't really know what it was and don't really want to lose, but i guess i could make the current hard drive into a secondary drive without losing anything right?

-the motherboard I'm not sure about I will find out and let you know.

I built this system about 3 years ago

On a side note I just saw the new Captain America by force even tho I hated the first one, and WOW what a improvement you guys should check it out. The headstone of Nick Fury's grave takes the cake for me.
Skinney
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:02 am

Ive used macrium reflect to clone hdd and ssd to new ssd with great success. It is a great product. There is a free version but it is worth a purchase
You can clone to a larger ssd then expand the new ssd partition. For a small ssd backup all you need to offload, shrink the partition to the new ssd size and clone
ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:13 am

I bought an HP laptop with a 500GB mechanical drive, and wanted to upgrade to a 256GB SSD without reinstalling Windows. I tried a few free programs, but in the end, the one that worked the best was Paragon Migrate To SSD ($20). It handled multiple partitions, GPT partition table, Windows 8, etc. Obviously you'd still need to have less than 256GB of stuff on the source drive for this to work.
RaginCajun
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:41 am

Skinney wrote:Seems a fresh install is gonna have to be the go to, my problem is that I have 700 GB of data that I don't really know what it was and don't really want to lose, but i guess i could make the current hard drive into a secondary drive without losing anything right?

I've used and can recommend this program.
It'll tell you what you have and how much space it's taking up.
http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision
IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:19 pm

NovusBogus wrote:Free space only affects performance when it's ~90% full
In HDDs free space doesn't affect performance at all, unless you mean more potential fragmentation.

Windows is notorious for getting slower and slower over time because of all the crap it leaves lying around everywhere in the course of normal operation.
It might happen if a lot of 3rd party programs install useless things that run in the background, but Windows by itself seems fine.
meerkt
Gerbil

Return to Storage