Swappin' a Drive And Bad Drivers?

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

Swappin' a Drive And Bad Drivers?

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:26 pm

I'll try to be concise.

I have an old Dell I'm trying to give to someone, IDE drive. Was going to throw a copy of Windows 7 on--legit. CD drive is borked so using my own system to format and do a clean install. Windows 7 installs the first time no problemo.

I stick it in the old Dell and the computer won't boot. Is this a problem with the driver's for the IDE channel? I generally don't know much about this and have never had to fuss with it. Under the IDE controllers tab I basically only see ATA channels 0-1, an IDE channel, and then several of the standard duel channel PCI IDE Controllers. After slight Googling, I *believe* I tried to update the IDE channel to a Standard Duel etc. driver. The old harddrive wouldn't boot to desktop anymore, and upon trying to reinstall Windows 7 I get errors that it won't work. I can basically just format/partition and that's it.

I believe I royally screwed this. I hate to spend money on a freaking IDE drive. Suggestions?
dashbarron
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber

Re: Swappin' a Drive And Bad Drivers?

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:44 pm

So, you loaded Win7 and let it do its initial hardware detection/driver choice thing in your desktop, then moved the HD to the old Dell and expected it to work automagically?

I hope you didn't let the authentication routine run, because no matter what you do that copy of Win 7 will never authenticate in the Dell box. If you didn't try to authenticate Win 7, pull the optical drive from your box and put it in the Dell. Reload Win 7 on the Dell with a good optical drive.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:52 pm

To be honest Ned? Yes, lol. If the OS was loaded I believe it should just pop in and work and install a new batch of drivers for its new home. Done it before many times at least. I'm a bit concerned now because I can't get it to install Windows 7 on this drive at all.

It didn't authenticate because it had no access to the net. I was thinking it probably wouldn't validate either, but I don't believe Windows 7 will punish a user except maybe not letting access to Security Center or Update.

I just don't understand how the controllers/driver's work.
dashbarron
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:24 pm

I haven't tried to do this sort of thing with Win7 (yet), but IIRC (at least in the XP days) Windows Setup copied the driver for the primary disk controller to a special location. If you switched the controller the boot drive was attached to, that driver had to be replaced somehow. Sorry to be so vague, but it has been years since I've dealt with this issue, and I'm not even sure it is still applicable in Win7.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:50 pm

Thanks JBI, it was a hint.

Got to love the narrow ecosystem of the Dell machines. After a lot of fuss I was able to perk the system back to life and return it to active duty. Ned's right though, would have been easier to just start with a better optical bay in the Dell to begin with than swapping out the drive later. Last time I try to do that.
dashbarron
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber

Return to Storage