Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

killadark
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

WD My essential....not working

Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:44 pm

well i have this wd my essential which stopped working for no reason a long time back now i have misplaced the cords for it so i decided take it out put it in the desktop and bring it to life... well it dosent even get detected last i remember it did get detected just asked for format evrytime so im guessing some kind of WD gimmiky for it to not work if its not connected to its pcb which is in the enclosure i have checked the net and a lot of people have such problems im not sure how to proceed anymore since its just is not detected it just increases my boot time by a good 2 min by trying to work i guess but dosent work

any thoughts on how it can work?
AMD FX-8350|Asus M5A97 LE R2.0|16gb GSKILL Sniper 2400mhz|Samsung SSD 120g 840|AMD R9 290 TRI-X (dead) GTX1070
Corsair RM650x,Thermaltake Xaser vi ,Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: WD My essential....not working

Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:50 pm

Sounds like the drive is just dead.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

killadark
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:52 pm

ya figured as much have had so many WD "GREEN" HDD fail on me(4 in 3years) never again ill get anything labeled WD again just plain right unreliable

but the thing is there is no clicking sound like the others had i have another HDD with a similar problem it works sometimes its a hit or miss kinda thing its is also a green hdd
AMD FX-8350|Asus M5A97 LE R2.0|16gb GSKILL Sniper 2400mhz|Samsung SSD 120g 840|AMD R9 290 TRI-X (dead) GTX1070
Corsair RM650x,Thermaltake Xaser vi ,Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:23 pm

If it's a 2.5" drive it might be getting insufficient power. I've had bad luck with premade external drives sucking...if it's out of warranty you could maybe open it up and see if the drive works on its own, and if so get a better enclosure or use a HDD dock.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu May 01, 2014 9:32 am

NovusBogus wrote:
If it's a 2.5" drive it might be getting insufficient power. I've had bad luck with premade external drives sucking...if it's out of warranty you could maybe open it up and see if the drive works on its own, and if so get a better enclosure or use a HDD dock.

Per the first post, he already took it apart and tried connecting it directly to his motherboard.

As far as 2.5" external enclosures and power goes, if it is USB you really should use a Y cable that powers the drive from two ports. Alternatively, if the enclosure has a jack for external power but did not come with its own power brick, the power brick from a powered USB hub will usually work provided the plug is the right size.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

killadark
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu May 01, 2014 9:40 am

just brew it! wrote:
NovusBogus wrote:

Per the first post, he already took it apart and tried connecting it directly to his motherboard.

As far as 2.5" external enclosures and power goes, if it is USB you really should use a Y cable that powers the drive from two ports. Alternatively, if the enclosure has a jack for external power but did not come with its own power brick, the power brick from a powered USB hub will usually work provided the plug is the right size.

i think i sould clear it up thats its a 3.5" hdd the full size one