Saving my old small OS SSD for emergency opinions.

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

Saving my old small OS SSD for emergency opinions.

Postposted on Sat May 31, 2014 4:52 pm

Hello everyone,
I am looking for your opinions on what I should do with my old original small Corsair Force 60GB Operating System SSD that I cloned onto a used Kingston v200 128gb SSD that is now my new OS drive. It has low hours and use on it and tests out excellent with the SSD heath tool.

My question is should I save my original 60GB Corsair OS SSD as a emergency OS recovery drive or format over it and use it for hard drive intensive unpacking that I do quite a lot of RAR use? The Kingston drive is absolutely outstanding compared to my 7200 rpm 1tb WD Black at unpacking the TV shows and Movies I unpack on pretty much a daily basis. Also after unpacking the files transferring them to the black drive is super fast compared pretty much halving my HDD to HDD file transfer times that can become very time consuming and annoying when the show/movie is over 5GB in size. So should I take it easy on my newer Kingston SSD and clear my original small OS SSD and use the smaller drive for Drive intensive tasks or just use the newer bigger SSD and save the original OS SSD as a emergency backup?

What would you do and since I have 3 other spinning Platter drives on the system with games and files all over the place how long would it stay usable as a recovery drive?
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Saving my old small OS SSD for emergency opinions.

Postposted on Sat May 31, 2014 4:58 pm

I set up a 40GB SSD as a Windows 8 To Go drive; we put some utilities on it and use it for diagnostics on various computers when coupled with a USB dock.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sat May 31, 2014 6:02 pm

vargis14 wrote:What would you do?

Use it for other system with HDD if that other system supports Intel's Smart Response. Other than that - I'd just give it away or just keep it as a spare or something...
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat May 31, 2014 6:16 pm

Well, how pissed off would you be if you had to re-install the OS from scratch? If the answer is "only a little" then it doesn't really matter.

If it was me, I would probably keep it as a backup until I had another use for it. Then I would reformat it, possibly after imaging it to a file on a mechanical drive to save the OS image.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:45 am

I put old SSD's into old laptops.

If you have any laptops with a 5400rpm drive for the OS, they're perfect. If 60GB makes the laptop useless to you, then buy a USB3 enclosure and make yourself an awesome, shock-tolerant external drive that can copy movies off your PC at 5x the speed of a mechanical drive. Also, portable hard drives always die because they're dropped or knocked. Your old SSD just won't care ;)
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:01 am

I moved my old laptop drive into my PS3.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:05 am

Thanks for the responses,
I think I will do both what Chrispy and JBI said in a little while. I will Image it onto a sata 80gb spinner I have laying around.
Then I think I will install it in my mothers old Core 2 based pentium Acer laptop that takes forever to do most things....Plus it is the HDD light that is always being waited on starting up....or starting quick books etc.
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:24 pm

Yeah, if it's a dual-core laptop then you'll notice big, big improvements replacing a 5400rpm spinner.

I've put a 60GB SSD into an Atom netbook before, and the bottleneck was the Atom. It was still useful because the netbook could be thrown around a bit more with no fear of trashing the delicate hdd, but there wasn't much more performance to be had from it ;)
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:12 pm

Saving an SSD as an emergency backup isn't as neat as it sounds. It's not entirely clear if an SSD will maintain data integrity after months/years in cold storage, and for re-imaging it make more sense to get a big cheap mechanical drive on which you back up everything, including one or more bare-metal images for Ghost/Macrium/etc. I keep a 3TB drive in the safe that contains all of my important stuff plus the contents of several old small HDs from back in the day.

So using it for something else is definitely the right idea.
NovusBogus
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:53 am

NovusBogus wrote:It's not entirely clear if an SSD will maintain data integrity after months/years in cold storage

Last year I fired up a retired server which had an indilinx boot drive and an intel X25-m (G1) for the first time in about 30 months and everything was fine. Anecdotal, I know, but just as a USB pen drive can hold data for a decade, I'm pretty sure that the data-retention scares are just FUD. Standard TLC flash in USB drives had been showing us 5+ year data retention for a decade before SSD's were even available.

I agree that SSD's should not be wasted on long-term storage when there are mechanical OS drives that could still be replaced, though. It's Vargis' choice what he does with it but I think the donation to his mum is both kind and the most sensible option ;)
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:07 am

Chrispy_ wrote:Anecdotal, I know, but just as a USB pen drive can hold data for a decade, I'm pretty sure that the data-retention scares are just FUD. Standard TLC flash in USB drives had been showing us 5+ year data retention for a decade before SSD's were even available.

To show us "5+ year data retention for a decade before SSDs were even available", we would've needed to start using TLC flash around 1990. In 1990 we were still using floppies for removable storage, and the USB interface hadn't even been invented yet. TLC NAND has only been around for something like 5 years *total*, so (aside from results that have been extrapolated from accelerated life testing) we're just *now* starting to get empirical data for 5+ year data retention reliability on TLC.

I agree that some of the info floating around is FUD and/or based on "worst case" storage conditions (high temperature). But it would also be wise to remember what happened with CD-R/DVD-R, where extravagant claims were made about data retention times, yet the reality turned out to be that many burned discs degraded within just a few years.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:41 am

I just mean that I've found 32MB and 64MB usb flash drives from well over a decade ago and they still read/write having held their original data despite having been sat at the bottom of a crate since god knows when....

The sticks I found had Windows 2000 drivers and other related stuff - so I guess they were from 2001-2003 or similar. Perhaps only 11 years old, but still pretty good as far as long-term retention goes.
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:21 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:I just mean that I've found 32MB and 64MB usb flash drives from well over a decade ago and they still read/write having held their original data despite having been sat at the bottom of a crate since god knows when....

The sticks I found had Windows 2000 drivers and other related stuff - so I guess they were from 2001-2003 or similar. Perhaps only 11 years old, but still pretty good as far as long-term retention goes.

USB sticks from that long ago would've been SLC. You were quite specifically talking about TLC in your post. We just don't know yet how TLC will perform from a long-term retention standpoint, because it hasn't been around long enough.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:00 pm

My mistake then, I'd read somewhere that USB flash has always been TLC for cost reasons.
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:29 am

My opinion would be that u use it side by side with the new one and also can help u when u need to format that or preset the os.....also can give u a good support for backup files. 8)
Pranav2146
Gerbil In Training

Return to Storage