Acronis and new drives. Seagate too?

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

Acronis and new drives. Seagate too?

Postposted on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:49 pm

Fry's had two Seagate 1TB drives on sale this week. I chose the one without Acronis but, either misplaced my disc or didn't get it. The retail box - which said it included a SATA cable, screws, Seagate? tools disc, drive, etc... - has given me two errors since installing XP Home last night one it and I can't get to the desktop.

If I try the repair console, I get something about "Windows\system32\config\system\ missing.
If I try F5/* for safe mode, I get a BSOD with mention of Bad_Pool_Caller.

The TB drive replaces a 500 GIG WD drive I bought less than six month ago (remember when everyone gave me **** for using a 15=60 gig ATA boot drive? Ahh, good times...)

Anyways, to try to get to the main point: Has anyone bought a 1 TB Seagate drive that included a Seatools? installation disc lately and if so, was it in the box? If I try to dl'd from their website, I not only get Acronis, but apparently an older version than I already dl'd for my WD drive. The crippled version.

Not that I've ever been the most literate writer, but I've been working on this for a week and a bit more fried for my efforts, so apologies if I've omitted critical info.

<ACK!!! I just noticed I spelled "Acronis" wrong in the title. I corrected it but have not submitted, so whether it took or not that's the reason for the edit.>
Last edited by Dai on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dai
Gerbil Elite

Re: Aconis and new drives. Seagate too?

Postposted on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:08 pm

How about a recommendation for the Macrium Reflect Free edition instead?
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:42 pm

Sounds like the disk may be bad to begin with. Run the diagnostic tools for Seagate or use something like UBCD to boot and test the disk. If the disk is DOA, take it back to Fry's.

Or it may be a RAM problem. Run memtest overnight (UBCD can help with that too) to confirm.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:51 pm

morphine wrote:How about a recommendation for the Macrium Reflect Free edition instead?

Looks interesting. How easy is it to use? I'll dl'd it in the meantime. Anyone have a problem installing it from Majorgeeks? Miniestarts the process and then disappears.

I'm taking a guess at this, but it appears that formatting the drive on a different computer and then transferring it to mine, was the cause of the problem as once I did a full format on mine, the problems went away. Back to one of the original questions, any reports of the disc not actually being included in the box?

Now if I can just recover the first 2TB partition of a 3TB WD drive I bought. If I use Testdisk, I can see the info, but not booted up.
Dai
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:54 pm

Dai wrote:
morphine wrote:How about a recommendation for the Macrium Reflect Free edition instead?
Looks interesting. How easy is it to use?
I found it quite easy to use even on a less-than-standard configuration
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:21 am

Dai wrote:Looks interesting. How easy is it to use? I'll dl'd it in the meantime. Anyone have a problem installing it from Majorgeeks? Miniestarts the process and then disappears.

The only parts of the UI that I had issues with were pulling images from network drives (reportedly now fixed), and the partition resizing, which isn't immediately intuitive. Other than that, it's pretty easy to use.

I downloaded from Macrium directly - and eventually bought a license. Shameless plug: if you're a TR subscriber, you get a 20-40% discount code.

PS - I bought my license even before TR had this thing going on.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:05 pm

Well, after trying for half an hour, it could not connect to the server to install, so...maybe another day.
Dai
Gerbil Elite

Return to Storage