SSD taking a while to boot up

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

SSD taking a while to boot up

Postposted on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:40 pm

Hey guys, I've got an Intel 120GB SSD in both of my PCs as the main boot drive with Windows 7/8.1 installed on the PCs.

The one with Windows 7 has been taking a good 20-30 seconds to get past the Windows logo on bootup for some reason recently, is there any way I can look into this. It also takes a while to log into a user, about 10-15 seconds.

Thanks much guys.
AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi

Re: SSD taking a while to boot up

Postposted on Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:00 pm

I have a Samsung 840 EVO booting Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, and there are times when it would just take so long to get past the Welcome screen. I notice that running Samsung Magician and doing an OS Optimization fixes things (even if I go to Power Options and re-select the Balanced power profile .. Samsung creates a new profile called Samsung High Performance or something... I don't trust it to save power). Also, if I do a reformat and reinstallation of the OS and everything it fixes the problem. Given these, I don't think it's an issue with the SSD itself, but with the OS. Perhaps it's doing some cleaning up or whatever during boot time.
As you get older, you don't lose your friends.. you just find out who the real ones are.
ronch
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:05 am

ronch wrote:I have a Samsung 840 EVO booting Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, and there are times when it would just take so long to get past the Welcome screen. I notice that running Samsung Magician and doing an OS Optimization fixes things (even if I go to Power Options and re-select the Balanced power profile .. Samsung creates a new profile called Samsung High Performance or something... I don't trust it to save power). Also, if I do a reformat and reinstallation of the OS and everything it fixes the problem. Given these, I don't think it's an issue with the SSD itself, but with the OS. Perhaps it's doing some cleaning up or whatever during boot time.

Thanks mate, I might upgrade it to Windows 8.1 I reckon.
AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:38 am

how full is it?
C10 250
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:27 am

well since we are on this topic i have some problems as well the startup apps take forever to load after coming to the desktop im talking 1-2 min before it starts loading the start up apps not sure what the problem at this waiting time the SSD sits idle unless i open the browser or some other app

anyone can shed some light on this problem it has been happening since i got win 8.1
AMD FX-8350|Sabetooth 990FX|16gb Kingston Hyper X|Samsung SSD 120g 840|AMD R9 290 TRI-X
TT ToughPower 850w,Thermaltake Xaser vi ,Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card
killadark
Gerbil Team Leader

Return to Storage