Samsung Magician necessary?

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

Samsung Magician necessary?

Postposted on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:15 pm

I have owned Intel and Crucial SSDs. Now I am looking at Samsung's. I have read about potential issues with the Magician software. Intel's own SSD tools never gave me any issues. I would like some general opinions on:
- Do I really need to install it?
- Can I install it, configure the SSD, and then uninstall it?
- Do I need to keep it running to take advantage of the overprovisioning and cache in RAM features (for the EVOs I believe)?
- What is the performance impact if I don't enable those fancy features and use it like the Crucial's which have no special tools?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Samsung Magician necessary?

Postposted on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:16 pm

I've used the Magician software for a year and a half now and haven't had any issues. It's nice because it tells you when a new firmware update has come out and gives you a bunch of auto adjustments for the SSD just like the Intel software. I used to be an Intel SSD person until I switch to Samsung.
Intel I7-2600k, Asus P8P67, 16GB DDR3 1600mhz, Geforce GTX 780, ASUS Xonar D2, Samsung Evo 250GB, Western Digital Black 1TB, Corsair HX750w
Omniman
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:38 pm

It is not a bad piece of software... was useful for migrating from 1 SSD to another.

On boot it requires admin escalation which is annoying.

I've had no issues, other than it did not migrate that little 100MB partition right and I had to repair it after noticing my backups were failing.
Arvald
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:49 pm

I've read elsewhere that it's not necessary, for some reason mine doesn't launch at boot. Too lazy to look up a source.

I open it when I remember, but that's not exactly often.
i7 3820 @ 4.4, Custom Water Loop | ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 8GB G.Skill 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz | Samsung 840 250GB |WD Black 1TB | Win 8 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Corsair TX850V2 | Fractal Arc Midi R2
Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:54 pm

Prestige Worldwide wrote:I've read elsewhere that it's not necessary, for some reason mine doesn't launch at boot. Too lazy to look up a source.

I open it when I remember, but that's not exactly often.

Yeah, i turned mine off on boot. Mine doesn't require admin either, though. It's really not a bad application. Seems to work okay for the most part.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:58 pm

never had any issues with magician
definitely not the issues mentioned in the quoted thread (and i am running an nvidia card also)
f0d
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:03 pm

Necessary? No. Useful? Yes.

You certainly don't need to keep it running all the time; you don't even need to install it to configure your SSD -- everything it does for you can be done manually if you know where to find the options in Windows (eg to make sure indexing / superfetch / defrag is off) and the steps you need to take (eg "overprovisioning" by creating a volume that doesn't take up the entire free space). And other tools (eg Reflect) can do a better job at things like migration. I went out of my way to make sure Magician doesn't launch automatically (I prefer to have as little running as possible), and I chose not to have it "optimize" things because I want indexing turned on and have no problem with superfetching. But I left it installed so that I can launch it to check total writes and health info (SMART data is unfortunately far from standardized, so the best tool for checking storage health is the one produced by your drive mfr).

You may need it for the EVO caching feature (I don't have an EVO) but I would expect that's actually a driver-level functionality and while Magician may provide a UI to enable/tune it, it's not actually required to be running all the time. (At least, that would be the sensible way to design it but Samsung's software people -- like those for many hardware-first companies --- are frequently far from sensible).
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:31 pm

UberGerbil wrote:You certainly don't need to keep it running all the time; you don't even need to install it to configure your SSD -- everything it does for you can be done manually if you know where to find the options in Windows (eg to make sure indexing / superfetch / defrag is off) and the steps you need to take (eg "overprovisioning" by creating a volume that doesn't take up the entire free space). And other tools (eg Reflect) can do a better job at things like migration. I went out of my way to make sure Magician doesn't launch automatically (I prefer to have as little running as possible), and I chose not to have it "optimize" things because I want indexing turned on and have no problem with superfetching. But I left it installed so that I can launch it to check total writes and health info (SMART data is unfortunately far from standardized, so the best tool for checking storage health is the one produced by your drive mfr).
I do want indexing and superfetching too as they work fine back when I had the Intel and now Crucial SSDs. Disable auto-launch and telling it to not optimize things can be done from their GUI or do I need to use dark wizardry like msconfig and/or registry hacks?

UberGerbil wrote:You may need it for the EVO caching feature (I don't have an EVO) but I would expect that's actually a driver-level functionality and while Magician may provide a UI to enable/tune it, it's not actually required to be running all the time. (At least, that would be the sensible way to design it but Samsung's software people -- like those for many hardware-first companies --- are frequently far from sensible).
The EVO caching feature sounds good and scary at the same time. Good in that the performance gains seem to be tangible. Scary in that this is most likely driver-level stuff that I don't trust Samsung enough to do a good job of it. Writing good drivers is hard. I don't want that to affect the stability of my system. The currently running deal at the 'egg with the 500GB drive using the promo code is very tempting. :P

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:41 pm

Flying Fox wrote:I have owned Intel and Crucial SSDs. Now I am looking at Samsung's. I have read about potential issues with the Magician software. Intel's own SSD tools never gave me any issues. I would like some general opinions on:
- Do I really need to install it?
- Can I install it, configure the SSD, and then uninstall it?
- Do I need to keep it running to take advantage of the overprovisioning and cache in RAM features (for the EVOs I believe)?
- What is the performance impact if I don't enable those fancy features and use it like the Crucial's which have no special tools?

I'm also interested to know whether it needs to be running for RAM cache and overprovisioning. As for my earlier thread, I recently updated Magician from 4.3 to 4.4 and noticed a few different behaviors:

• Magician now launches at startup. It didn't before, and I can't find any settings regarding it
  • There is no UAC prompt when opening from the tray if launched automatically at startup, but if Magician is closed and re-launched it will produce a UAC prompt
  • The "Full Screen Bug" no longer affects the majority of Steam games, but still affects GTA IV and a few emulators. This is even more bizarre, as there's some unknown factor that I can't determine. Closing Magician still fixes the problem in all cases.
i5 2500k - P67 - GTX660 - 840 Pro 256GB - Xonar Essence STX - Senn HD595's
The Egg
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:06 am

Magician is useful to initially configure your SSD after that I just forget about it.
And I neither want nor need it to load in at start up.

The Egg wrote:Magician now launches at start up. It didn't before, and I can't find any settings regarding it

There is now a scheduled task to run the executable at start up.
Disable this task at start up as well as stopping the startup entry.

Look in Task Scheduler for the task.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision
IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:24 am

IAmGhostDog wrote:
The Egg wrote:Magician now launches at start up. It didn't before, and I can't find any settings regarding it

Easy enough. I hadn't bothered to look into forcefully preventing it from loading, I just think they should have an in-program option so users can easily enable/disable the feature.
i5 2500k - P67 - GTX660 - 840 Pro 256GB - Xonar Essence STX - Senn HD595's
The Egg
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:41 am

IAmGhostDog wrote:Magician is useful to initially configure your SSD after that I just forget about it.
And I neither want nor need it to load in at start up.

Do you use the EVO caching feature?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:15 pm

You don't need to use it.
Having used plenty of EVOs without it I'm not even sure it's possible to notice the difference the cacheing is supposed to give you.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:01 am

Flying Fox wrote:Do you use the EVO caching feature?

Not this go round.
When I 1st got my SSD I did RAPID Mode, Over Provisioning, OS optimization just because I was so new to the whole SSD thing.
Having just rebuilt my rig from the ground up with new mobo/CPU, clean install of Windows, all I've done is the OS optimization.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision
IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Return to Storage