120gb Refurb SSD?

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

120gb Refurb SSD?

Postposted on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:26 pm

Alright, this HAS to be a touchy subject...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

I know the bad, I know the good..... Anyone have .02 to throw in? Worth the "gamble" when its only got a 30 day warranty. For $50 I figured it would work perfect in a dedicated virus scanning machine that is falling prey to crawling HDD.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

i5-2500K|Asus P67 Sabertooth|16GB Corsair 1600|MSI 7850 2GB|250gb Evo 840|Corsair 400R|ET750w PSU|Logitech G5|Dell 2420L|Corsair Vengeance 1300
Welch
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Re: 120gb Refurb SSD?

Postposted on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:48 pm

It's probably fine as a product, but I don't see the point when new drives like the Ultra Plus and XLR8 regularly go on sale for $60-65. I think even I saw the much-maligned V300 for 50 bucks not too long ago.
NovusBogus
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:43 am

I buy referbs a lot. It really depends on what it is. In the case of the SSD, I'd buy it, stress test it, and go from there. If you're not planning on doing a lot of write-heavy operations or critical data storage I think you'd be fine.
Just about any SSD is better than a mechanical HDD in terms of speed so, as long as it's cheap, it's a big upgrade.
Losergamer04
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:50 am

I wouldn't touch a refurb at that price level. A brand new 120GB will be a few dollars more, and you'll lose time and any cost savings if you have to pay return shipping. There are plenty of comparable drives with full warranties and free shipping from $65 on the Egg. Would you even save any money once you add shipping costs?

If you were talking about saving $100+ on a 1TB model it would make a lot more sense.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:23 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:I wouldn't touch a refurb at that price level. A brand new 120GB will be a few dollars more, and you'll lose time and any cost savings if you have to pay return shipping. There are plenty of comparable drives with full warranties and free shipping from $65 on the Egg. Would you even save any money once you add shipping costs?

If you were talking about saving $100+ on a 1TB model it would make a lot more sense.

Fair enough, it was intended for my Virus scanner machine and obviously its cheap but I knew there are "lesser" models for only a bit more that are new. But I was more concerned about reliability of refurbs people have come across. Yeah I've probably installed well over 25 Samsung EVO 840's in various systems. The difference is crazy and obviously beats out any HDD.

So it sounds like I'm best off avoiding the refurb SSD market. I've never and refuse to use refurb motherboards, wayyyyy to much can go wrong on them and I've seen friends have issues before.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

i5-2500K|Asus P67 Sabertooth|16GB Corsair 1600|MSI 7850 2GB|250gb Evo 840|Corsair 400R|ET750w PSU|Logitech G5|Dell 2420L|Corsair Vengeance 1300
Welch
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:41 am

I guess I didn't explain my "gut" feeling, which might be some logic worth considering.

People don't return SSDs if they work well. You can never* have too much SSD storage and there are always secondary machines with mechanical OS drives to improve if the SSD doesn't fit the bill for your primary buying reason.
An SSD is a refurb only if:

• It was faulty and repaired, in which case how do I know that the cause of the failure was repaired, rather than just the symptom being treated
  • It was incompatible, which is pretty rare for a SATA drive these days. More likely it has an intermittent connector or some other minor fault
  • It didn't perform as expected, in which case it may be one of these bait-and-switch examples where the sync. NAND has been swapped for async. NAND or worse.

I'd be willing to put up with some risk buying refurb boards or GPU's where people are likely to return perfectly-working items to the seller for compatibility, noise, installation errors etc. An SSD just works - it's like the easiest upgrade ever. The most anyone would ever have to do to get one working is potentially update a really ancient motherboard BIOS, but that's a point covered in the instruction manual or web-guide that most vendors include with their SSD's.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Return to Storage