Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

ssand
Gerbil
Topic Author

Goofy mounted hard drive...

Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:11 pm

I'm working on building a custom mini pc.
While I could use a notebook hard drive(too pricey for large capacity)... I would rather like to use a standard 3.5 HD. Only problem is with the 3.5" HD I would have to mount it vertically - to save space. So, it would be standing up long ways (the end with the connectors would be facing down to the bottom of the case).

Has anyone run into any problems/performace issues mounting HD's in positions other than standard horizontal position. :-?

Mime
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:23 pm

Yeah I've had a HD mounted vertically before. No problem. Orientation doesn't matter as long as it does move while it's running. :wink:
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

ssand
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:34 pm

thanks for the quick reply.

:wink:

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:54 pm

As long as it's on an axis [vertical, on a side, flat], it's fine. In one lab at our school, they have those **** computer desks where the screen is below a piece of glass. The monitor sits on a desktop case, which is literally at a 45 degree angle.

They fail faster than any other computer at school. The oldest ones have fans that whir like theyre gonna fly off their bearings. It think the uneven stress on the bearings and rotor axis cause the fan and drives to fail extremely prematurely.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

smakkythecamel
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:27 am

I saw the title and thought... "Ohhh, talented doggy."

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:33 am

Mime wrote:
Yeah I've had a HD mounted vertically before. No problem. Orientation doesn't matter as long as it does move while it's running. :wink:

i think you meant:

Orientation doesn't matter as long as it does NOT move while it's running.

:roll:
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:06 am

He.... straigh axis in any way, harddrives doesnt like to be tilted, no matter if they are running or not. If you stop to think about it youll see why...

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:16 am

As everyone mentioned here the drive will be fine in either position. As long as it is not being jostled around when running.

However in your orginal post you mentioned that the drives connectors will be facing toward the bottom of the case. My concern is will there be enough room to run those down and back up to the drive without crimping then too badly or binding on something.

Other then that you should be fine.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

ssand
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:35 am

the ide connectors on the motherboard are on (near) the bottom. so, i'm thinking i might have to shorten the cable if anything.

Mime
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:54 am

thegleek wrote:
Mime wrote:

i think you meant:

Orientation doesn't matter as long as it does NOT move while it's running.

:roll:

Heh, yeah well you all got the point anyway. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.