Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Re-purposing a hard drive

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:18 am

Hi,

This may belong to the back porch, but no matter really... I just dismantled a HDD to re-purpose it (don't know in what yet). Does anyone know how to remove the bottom center spinning part? It seems to me it's integral to the bottom tray, but maybe there's still a way to remove it. I've tried to look for videos, but the ones I found never go as far.

Thanks.
"The mind is like a parachute: it doesn't work unless it's open"... Frank Zappa

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Re-purposing a hard drive

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:30 am

You're trying to remove the spindle hub/axle that the platters slide onto?
Assuming I understand you correctly, that's going to be very dependent on what exact model of disk you have, and probably not possible using typical tools without causing damage.

I have three drives in front of me. One (a WD blue) is press fit, probably assembled hot/cold and going to be near impossible to dismantle
The next one (Seagate ST250) looks to have a split-ring spring-clip under a layer of semi-opaque epoxy
The last one is a 2.5" drive and the spindle looks soldered.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:34 am

Yes that is what I meant. I apologize, as you can see I don't know the terms (plus I'm French :wink: ).

The defunct drive was a WD Caviar SE.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:24 pm

The actuator magnets are fun to play with (a little dangerous if you're not prepared for how strong they are) but if you're already trying to remove the spindle you've probably already taken those out!
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:39 pm

Yes they are quite strong! Strong enough that I though at first that part was screwed on. But I saw no screw and after using a screwdriver to try to force it up, that's where I saw it would obey, then come back to place very quickly. :o

But I still have no solution for the hub/axle...

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:14 pm

If you're just seeing how far you can go with disassembly, put the drive upside down in a bench vice with a towel/cloth underneath it (to stop the platters from dropping to the floor) and tap the spindle progressively harder with a hammer and punch:

If it's split-pinned, you'll just destroy the pin.
If it's press-fit, you might managed to dislodge it
If it's epoxied or glued, you should be able to break the seal
I assume you've used a knife to make sure it's not a metallic sticker covering a screw/torx head, right?

Anyway, hitting the spindle will probably remove it, but the shock will also demagnetise the magnetic platters, completely destroying the data and making the platters useless (although I assume you're well aware that you're already far beyond this disk ever working again).

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:18 pm

Don't worry about the data, one of the purpose WAS to destroy the data. The drive also wasn't working properly anymore to start with.

I will try what you suggest. Many thanks.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:31 pm

Yeah if he's playing with the head actuator magnets we're already far beyond caring about the data. The only question is whether he wants to remove the spindle assembly and/or platters (relatively) intact or not!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:42 pm

It's actually completely disassembled right now, except from the bottom spinner thing.

Oh and I don't see any other stickers or screws left that would be related to it.

I started hitting it with a hammer and punch from the bottom. I think it moved a bit, because the thing doesn't spin anymore. But I will have to hit pretty hard to get it out I think.

For now I'm experimenting, so it doesn't matter if I damage something...