Single 2008 R2 RDS Cal License

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Single 2008 R2 RDS Cal License

Postposted on Thu May 23, 2013 3:03 pm

I think I'm missing something here. I've always purchased CAL licenses in bulk but now I need to purchase a single license which according to my research MS did start offering singles for just my scenario when you need an odd number of licences.

Unfortunately I'm coming across server 2008 (not specifying R2) and then still no single RDS cals. I ordered one that I found from Thenerds.com and they cancelled my order a week later with zero explanation.

Are 2008 R2 licenses going extinct or what? I realize they were one called terminal services CALs and were renamed to RDS, neither search seems to do the trick.

If anyone knows where I can purchase a 2008 R2 RDS device CAL as a single license... I would be eternally grateful. M$ should be shot for wasting customers time with crap like this.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

i5-2500K|Asus P67 Sabertooth|16GB Corsair 1600|MSI 7850 2GB|250gb Evo 840|Corsair 400R|ET750w PSU|Logitech G5|Dell 2420L|Corsair Vengeance 1300
Welch
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Re: Single 2008 R2 RDS Cal License

Postposted on Fri May 24, 2013 11:19 am

Generally, after MS releases a new server OS, you can only buy licenses for the new OS, but you have downgrade rights to the older version(s). I'm pretty sure CALs work the same way. If that's the case, you can buy a 2012 RDS CAL and use it as a 2008 R2 RDS CAL.

I don't work for MS and I'm not a lawyer - just an IT guy that has suffered thru plenty of license hell before.
"I take sibling rivalry to the whole next level, if it doesn't require minor sugery or atleast a trip to the ER, you don't love her." - pete_roth
"Yeah, I see why you'd want a good gas whacker then." - VRock
dextrous
Gerbil Elite

Return to Windows