probably a dumb question

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Postposted on Sat Apr 06, 2002 7:44 am

If I use the XP upgrade from win98, will that be just as good as installing the OEM version of XP.
Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Apr 06, 2002 7:46 am

No. A clean install is always preferable to an upgrade.
You are false data.
Speed
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat Apr 06, 2002 8:46 am

Yes if you buy the upgrade and do a install on a clean formatted HardDrive. This is the same as the OEM FULL version of WIN XP.

When you use the upgrade CD to do an install it will prompt you to insert your WIN98 CD for verification.

Why waste your money for the FULL version when the Upgrade does the same thing?

No roadmarch should begin without saying, "Driver move out!"

Why walk when you can ride?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tanker27 on 2002-04-06 07:47 ]</font>
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Apr 07, 2002 6:37 am

OK so that's one tick in each column. Seeing as how I'm putting it onto a new HD, I should save the $150 (canadian) and get the upgrade version.
Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Apr 07, 2002 7:33 am

Yea, if you have 98 then go ahead an buy the upgrade version. That's why they have it, save a few bucks for people who are upgrading.
DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Apr 07, 2002 12:59 pm

Thanx guys, the info is very much appreciated. Guess I'm going to put the money I save into my vid card. Which is where my next post is going to be. :wink:
Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Apr 07, 2002 2:24 pm

Speed said no because he though you mean you were going to upgrade an existing install of 98. Im pretty sure he'll come back and say yes when he sees this thread again.
murray
Gerbil XP
Gold subscriber

Clarification

Postposted on Sun Apr 07, 2002 4:50 pm

Does that mean that I need to clarify? :)

<b>Procedurally</b>, I would never, ever upgrade one kind of Windows to another. I have yet to see a Windows upgrade program that doesn't cause problems in the resultant system. You're going to find yourself spending time tracking down funny stuff if you install XP over an existing 98 system, so why not spend that time doing it right in the first place?

<b>Media</b> is a different matter. If you own a full (not an upgrade disc) copy of Windows 98, you can save some money by purchasing the retail upgrade version of XP. If the upgrade allows you to start with a blank disk (I haven't tried), then you get the benefit of the optimal install <i>and</i> save money. I've been spoiled by having the full MSDN versions available to me, but if I was trying to save money, I suppose that I'd get the upgrade version. MS has enough of my money for now.
You are false data.
Speed
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:18 am

speed wrote:

If the upgrade allows you to start with a blank disk (I haven't tried), then you get the benefit of the optimal install and save money.

Yes the upgrade does allow a full install on a blank disk. Just as long as you have a full version of 98/se/me/2K.

There are other ways to trick the installation GUI to install from the upgrade. But I won't go into that. Maybe another post.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Return to Windows