Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Re: How much space is Windows robbing from you?

Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:10 pm

My mistake.

Link

Why was the update not included as a DISM switch like Windows Server 2012 R2?

This was evaluated, however, due to the amount of changes required and the rigorous change approval process, it was not feasible to back port the functionality this way.

On 2008R2 and Win7 they only give you the GUI way. It's the same thing as the command line.

Start > Computer > Right Click C: > Properties > General Tab > Disk Cleanup > Clean up system files

Or Run/Cli: cleanmgr.exe

All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:34 pm

I likea good portion of the hard drive's free space taken for shadow copy/restore. As long as Windows releases it when I need the space then it's a good thing. Just like with RAM. I'm glad that Windows caches stuff when I don't have real applications that are filling it. I'd rather it not sit empty, and I'd rather the hdd not sit empty if there is some benefit to using the space for something.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:42 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
The default allocation for System Restore is not 50%. It is at max 10% and it is a variable value. Different size disks gets a different system restore value as it aims for 10GB of space or less.

Windows 8 and 8.1 will automatically both shrink and expand the pagefile as needed. Unfortunately 7 lacks this feature.

I have 32GB of memory. My system managed pagefile is ~5GB.

Interesting, I did not know that, looks like another reason to bite the bullet and upgrade to 8.1.

Start 8 or classic shell or other for win 8.1???
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

fhohj
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:49 pm

It's not system restore that's the problem, really. I mean, you can set a limit on how much of the drive it uses for shadow copies.

The problem is just Windows' general gobbling off hdd resources and this has seemed to worsen with Windows 8 and it has become a problem again with SSDs becoming popular. There aren't enough good references written on this. If anybody knows of a good whitepaper/blog post/forum post on the problem of Windows' cruft accretion and usual patterns that encourage it, I'd be really appreciative if you linked it here.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:58 pm

fhohj wrote:
The problem is just Windows' general gobbling off hdd resources and this has seemed to worsen with Windows 8 and it has become a problem again with SSDs becoming popular.

I am going to have to ask for a source for this statement. They have been trying hard to trim the disk usage so they can fit the OS on those cheapo tablets with 32gigs of space (and below, their target seems to be even more aggressive in the future), with some semblance of usable remaining space. If anything, the disk usage has been decreased compared to prior OSes. Or, are you just talking 8 and not 8.1?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:01 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
Interesting, I did not know that, looks like another reason to bite the bullet and upgrade to 8.1.

Start 8 or classic shell or other for win 8.1???

Just remember it will start out large. It will shrink over time as it collects memory usage analytics.

You can try and hurry it up by running maintenance. WinKey + X > Control Panel > Category: Small Icons > Action Center > Click where it says Maintenance > Start maintenance

Walk away from the computer for a bit. Takes a little while to finish.

All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:04 pm

SuperSpy wrote:
Deanjo wrote:
That WinSxS folder gets stupidly huge after a while.

Be careful reading into what Explorer claims for the size of this folder. It's full of hard links to system files, that explorer tends to count multiple times.

http://www.davidlenihan.com/2008/11/win ... ts_no.html

There's an obscure way to see the real size in 8.1 and 2012R2.

Microsoft KB for incorrect WinSxS reporting.
Source of obscure command

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:09 pm

JBI must be loving the fact that to get Windows to actually obey your wishes, you must drop down to the command line.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:21 pm

It's been marching down that line for a while now.

Real big push with PowerShell too, it's everywhere.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:41 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
On 2008R2 and Win7 they only give you the GUI way. It's the same thing as the command line.

Start > Computer > Right Click C: > Properties > General Tab > Disk Cleanup > Clean up system files

Or Run/Cli: cleanmgr.exe

It's all good. Thanks for trying to help. All the more reason to run Win 8.1.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:47 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
JBI must be loving the fact that to get Windows to actually obey your wishes, you must drop down to the command line.
We can't make GUIs for this stuff, that will CONFUSE and SCARE the normal people! We should definitely bow to the whims of technophobes who are afraid to learn anything rather than educate the users!
Deanjo wrote:
That WinSxS folder gets stupidly huge after a while.
auxy wrote:
I feel like this is a tongue-in-cheek joke that nobody else is likely to get. (´▽`)
Deanjo wrote:
No joke about it. Even after running disk cleanup on the Win 8.1 system it is still nearly 7 Gig. I have 2008R2 servers that have close to 25 gig gobbled up by it and if you manually delete the files you are headed for trouble.
SuperSpy wrote:
Be careful reading into what Explorer claims for the size of this folder. It's full of hard links to system files, that explorer tends to count multiple times.
http://www.davidlenihan.com/2008/11/win ... ts_no.html
This is what I was referring to earlier. I just assumed Deanjo would know that, hehe.
Ryu Connor wrote:
There's an obscure way to see the real size in 8.1 and 2012R2.
Thanks for all the tips here, Ryu!