Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

trying to clean windows 7

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:54 pm

I am trying to clean windows 7 and I am getting C:/windows/ServiceProfiles/NetworkService/Appdata/Local/temp corrupted message all through avast boot time scan. I wouldn't normally use avast, but I like to use it for the boot time function. Would anyone happen to know how to get into this folder so that I can delete the temp files? Or should I just leave it as it is?

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Re: trying to clean windows 7

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:19 pm

Try running Disk Check it's possible the file system - (NTFS) has errors that need correcting.
If disk check comes up clean/no errors then it likely is a permission issue.
How are you accessing the drive? Is this that laptop your trying to clean of malware?
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:45 pm

biffzinker wrote:
Try running Disk Check it's possible the file system - (NTFS) has errors that need correcting.
If disk check comes up clean/no errors then it likely is a permission issue.
How are you accessing the drive? Is this that laptop your trying to clean of malware?
yeah, it is. You saying that reminded me to tick see all files and folders. I was able to get those out of that folder. Will report back. Thanks for the help/;.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:08 am

Hopefully your cleaning the drive from another computer? It would make the cleaning process faster instead of on the laptop. :wink:
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:19 am

biffzinker wrote:
Hopefully your cleaning the drive from another computer? It would make the cleaning process faster instead of on the laptop. :wink:
Hrmmm. I have nothing to hook this laptop to. I don't have any connections or the like to do it with. I am just having to go into the laptop and do it from there.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:37 am

toki wrote:
biffzinker wrote:
Hrmmm. I have nothing to hook this laptop to. I don't have any connections or the like to do it with. I am just having to go into the laptop and do it from there.

You know you can remove the hard drive from the laptop, and when your finished stick it back in the laptop.
Edit: The connectors (power, and SATA) on a 2.5 inch drive are the same as in your desktop. If it was a slim-line optical drive then you might have some trouble.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:23 am

biffzinker wrote:
toki wrote:
biffzinker wrote:

You know you can remove the hard drive from the laptop, and when your finished stick it back in the laptop.
Edit: The connectors (power, and SATA) on a 2.5 inch drive are the same as in your desktop. If it was a slim-line optical drive then you might have some trouble.
I don't even own a laptop, so I don't really know how to take it apart. People tell me I am computer savvy when I am more just try to keep my stuff together based on necessity. I just basically want them to not have their stuff riddled with viruses.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:02 am

Would a couple of pictures help explain?

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:13 am

Thanks. I am almost threw with it at this point I think. I got the oogles of viruses off of it and I got the corrupted files off of it. Only thing left to do now is set it up for them so that hopefully it may be a little more streamlined for them, so they can't step into virus havens and click on all ads and so on.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:41 am

toki wrote:
Thanks. I am almost threw with it at this point I think. I got the oogles of viruses off of it and I got the corrupted files off of it.

Correction: You got the ones your AV knows about. If it had "oogles" of viruses on it, there's a pretty good chance you didn't find them all.

toki wrote:
Only thing left to do now is set it up for them so that hopefully it may be a little more streamlined for them, so they can't step into virus havens and click on all ads and so on.

Nothing will completely protect a system if the user is doing stuff like that. No AV solution is perfect, there will always be stuff that can slip through. If they are randomly clicking links and installing software from dodgy web sites, the system will be infected again within a week (assuming it isn't still infected *now*).

You really need to nuke this thing from orbit, reinstall the OS, and teach the user how to use the Internet safely.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:36 pm

just brew it! wrote:
You really need to nuke this thing from orbit, reinstall the OS, and teach the user how to use the Internet safely.

You can't force them to go buy a new license either. IIRC it is an Enterprise version. And today it is difficult to find a Win7 licence.

@op: if they don't really install anything at all, perhaps have them bite the bullet and *not* run anything as an administrator? That should help a ton. Mind you it may be very painful though.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:04 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
And today it is difficult to find a Win7 licence.

Huh? Newegg still has Windows 7 OEM licenses for sale. Ditto Amazon. How is that "difficult"?

xgsound
Gerbil First Class

Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:07 pm

This procedure can fix many malware problems. Fell free to ignore this if you already know about these programs.

Download from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com if available there.
TDSSKILLER
Adwcleaner
Rkill
Mbam
1. Use one and only one anti virus and keep it updated. MSE and Defender have become very limited. The free ones are Bitdefender, Avira, AVG, Panda, and Avast. I have had excellent luck with Bitdefender free since 2014.
2.periodically or when there are problems:
These cleaners will require reentering browser IDs and passwords.
a. run tdsskiller – this checks for rootkits and corrects -3 minutes
b. run ADWcleaner- very fast and effective malware cleaner. scan/ select clean -5 or 10 minutes
3. If problems persist:
a. run rkill – it takes 2 or 3 minutes to start and 3 more to finish DONOT REBOOT
b. when rkill finishes, run Malwarebytes a full scan and fix all - 1hour or so.

Jim

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:08 pm

Wait...why would you need a new Windows license?
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:09 pm

DPete27 wrote:
Wait...why would you need a new Windows license?

System was reimaged to Enterprise by his (former?) employer, and he's lost the license key for the version that was installed previously. It was in another recent thread.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:14 pm

If the original Windows key sticker is still on it, just use that. My company re-images our computers to enterprise and they let me use the original product keys. If you're installing Win10 straight off, it works just fine. If you're installing Windows 7 again, I've laid out the steps here.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:18 pm

DPete27 wrote:
If the original Windows key sticker is still on it, just use that. My company re-images our computers to enterprise and they let me use the original product keys. If you're installing Win10 straight off, it works just fine. If you're installing Windows 7 again, I've laid out the steps here.

toki (in the other thread) wrote:
I saw no sticker with install key on the battery or bottom of laptop.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:20 pm

DPete27 wrote:

This is the reason why we don't split threads when it is along the same issue. People will get in late and lose context.

See here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=117485
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:30 pm

OK, new thought - Win7 (and Vista/Office 2010/Server 2008/R2/not sure about 8+) have MAK and KMS keys for enterprise. If they used KMS, you have to check in with the license server - both to activate, and every now and then (I read every 6 months). If you're on that key, and I'm understanding this correctly, the system will start warning about activation sooner or later anyway (if they no longer work there/are around the employer's license server). If it's MAK, I think you could grab the key with the Jelly Bean tool (or Speccy), and reinstall (assuming you can get your hands on Win7 enterprise media). http://www.differencebetween.net/techno ... s-and-mak/

Of course, in any event, using this copy sounds a bit legally sketchy...

JpZedd
Gerbil In Training

Fri May 20, 2016 10:25 pm

toki wrote:
I am trying to clean windows 7 and I am getting C:/windows/ServiceProfiles/NetworkService/Appdata/Local/temp corrupted message all through avast boot time scan. I wouldn't normally use avast, but I like to use it for the boot time function. Would anyone happen to know how to get into this folder so that I can delete the temp files? Or should I just leave it as it is?

Try to set your system to safe-mode with networking before you clean it up, it would be fast to scan and remove unnecessary softwares. Use Hitman Pro, Sass, Mbam and Revo Pro and Optimize it using Ccleaner.

Hope this would help you! :D

basisPx
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:49 am

toki wrote:

Why don't you try to use CCleanup master or smth like that?

Bates228
Gerbil

Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:56 am

basisPx wrote:
toki wrote:
I am trying to clean windows 7 and I am getting C:/windows/ServiceProfiles/NetworkService/Appdata/Local/temp corrupted message all through avast boot time  scan. I wouldn't normally use avast, but I like to use it for the boot time function. Would anyone happen to know how to get into this folder so that I can delete the temp files? Or should I just leave it as it is?

The same question. It's the best and most important service of it kind. I recommend to use old versions, they are more sustainable. 

cheesyking

Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:06 am

basisPx wrote:
toki wrote:
I am trying to clean windows 7 and I am getting C:/windows/ServiceProfiles/NetworkService/Appdata/Local/temp corrupted message all through avast boot time  scan. I wouldn't normally use avast, but I like to use it for the boot time function. Would anyone happen to know how to get into this folder so that I can delete the temp files? Or should I just leave it as it is?

because CCleaner type software is basically a complete waste of time.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

The Egg

Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:01 am

It looks like this thread is attracting nonsense though Google searches.  Can probably be locked.