Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Sapphyre
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Installing XP Pro OEM on home built computer

Tue May 07, 2002 6:28 pm

Hi folks,

just built a new system, and am trying to install WinXP Pro, an OEM version. It does some checking, loads a bunch of drivers, then says Windows is about to start, then my monitor loses its signal and the computer just sits there.

I think I can see another screen of information, perhaps some errors, but it goes by so quickly before the monitor signal is lost I can't read it.

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing that could offer suggestions? I looked on the MS knowledge DB but didn't see anything similar.

Also, the WinXP OEM came with another CD called "Windows Pre-installation", but no documentation at all. I loaded it and it ran an executable off the CD, but then nothing. Anyone know what this does?

Thanks for any help!

Sapphyre
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Update

Wed May 08, 2002 3:08 pm

Hmm, well I've gotten a tiny bit further...

I put in an old Matrox Mystique video card I had in storage, and can now get to the next screen. It's basically the "hit ENTER to install Windows" screen.

Now, here's the weird thing: my keyboard stops being responsive after a few seconds. I've tried 3 different keyboards, all eventually stop responding... So, I can hit enter to start installing, then sometimes I can hit F8 to get past the EULA or whatever it is, and then I can't hit enter on the next screen to begin the actual install.

Anyone ever had a similar experience that could shed some light? Sound like a bad motherboard, perhaps? This is getting really annoying...

Thanks for any help

IndigoK7
Gerbil

Thu May 23, 2002 11:50 am

What kind of computer is it? Do realize that sadly, there are some computers out there that are NOT compatible with XP.
~ Indigo
Main System: DFI AD70-SC w/ VIA KT266A | 1.4 GHz "Thunderbird" Athlon 512 MB Mushkin PC2100 DDRSDRAM (Hyndai chips) | PNY GeForce4 Ti 4400 AGP 128MB | 40 GB ATA133 7200 RPM Maxtor | SB Audigy | Klipsch v.2-400

Gundyrat
Gerbil First Class

Thu May 23, 2002 10:25 pm

my guess is the pre install disc is what used to come on a couple of floppies the enitial drivers for the dos commands,keyboard and mouse support cd rom support to begin the install of windows
but since dos and windows are seprate entities now they utilze the cd
can you enter bios at all
is this oem disc from a differant system
most oem systems use proprietry software and there versions of windows will not install on non oem systems so i am told
sorry couldnt help more
Death to the white box brings life to a Black Tower, P4 2.26, GA-8IHXP, GF4 Ti 4400, 80 GB Maxtor, CT5880 Audio, USR V92 Pro mdem,
Windows XP Pro, 16xDVD, 32x10x40 CDRW,
512 mb's PC1066 Bringing New life to EverQuest

Iamlearning
Gerbil

Fri May 24, 2002 8:47 am

only one tim i install from a OEM version is when i install win98 years ago, but my PC runs smoothly.
And now with the XP OME, i think it supposes to run smoothly too.
Can u post more about your hadware, and did you check your hardware on the MS website, cos may be some of your hardware haven't supported by XP. I think you have problem with your graphic card, and at least one more thing.