Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Scorpiuscat
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2002 9:44 am

Well, I got up to go to work this morning and my computer was stuck in an eternal restarting loop.

It would boot up to the point where you see the WinXp start up screen,but as soon as it tryed to move on from there it restarts.

Since I had to leave to go to work, I did not get a chance to really diagnose this problem.

I could not even get it to boot up into safe mode.

Now I was tinkering with the front side bus speed before I went to bed,I have since returned all the BIOS settings to fail safe defaults just in case.

So I have a few ideas to start with when I get home,but I would like some input from some of you to maybe shorten my down time.

I,of course hope that this is a pure software problem and not a hardware failure of some sort.

But any ideas would be appreciated.....thanks

Here are my system specs:

1.4 gig T-Bird Blue Copper Die AYHJA
Thermaltake SK-6 Delta HSF
300watt Sparkle power supply
Epox 8K7A - AMD 761 chipset 266mhz FSB
512megs PC2100DDR Atlas Precision RAM
Ati Radeon 8500
SB Audigy X-Gamer w/ 5.1 Surround
12x/32x DVD-ROM
32x/12x/10x CDRW
10.2 WD 7200rpm HD
10.2 Maxtor 5400rpm HD
2gig Jaz SCSI drive
HP 2100c Scanner
Windows XP Pro

Lao Tze
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jan 14, 2002 3:55 pm

I have a similar problem, my comp won't shut down from windows... It gets most of the way shutting down, then there is a flash of a BSOD on the screen, then it reboots... I noticed it after screwing with my FSB/mult.
I am gonna say it's a software problem, I think XP doesn't like overclockers. I may be wrong, we'll have to wait till the local hardware troll^H^H^H^H^H guru, Forge, gets home.

Spune
Gerbil XP

Mon Jan 14, 2002 6:25 pm

Home? I thought our resident guru of all that is good and holy chould post from work now?

Forge where are you? We need you!

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 14, 2002 6:29 pm

Well, I have an idea on what's happening, but not what's causing it.

In windows XP/2K you can have the system restart automatically on a system failure. I think that's what happening with your box. On bootup it's getting a system failure, XP is automatically restarting on the failure.

Try this, remove all cards from the system except for your Video card. See what happens.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 14, 2002 6:50 pm

DiMastreo is right. Your machine is automatically rebooting after a BSOD occurs.

You can disable that function by going to My Computer -> Right Click -> Properties -> Advanced Tab -> Startup & Recovery -> Uncheck "Automatically reboot".

For the BSOD at shutdown disabling the automatic reboot is a good way to find out exactly which device driver is causing the issue. If the BSOD does not detail which driver failed you'll have to follow Dim's suggestion and pull one device at a time until the behvior stops.

BSOD at startup is much more problematic. It could be a Inacessible_Boot_Device error meaning that your hard disk has failed or been corrupted. It's more likely that some driver is at fault and Dim's suggestion of removing one device at a time should help to alleviate the issue. If Dim's suggestion does not work than it may very well be a hard drive problem. Don't forget to make sure all your devices are properly seated as well. Sometimes a loose component can cause a great deal of trouble.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryu Connor on 2002-01-14 17:51 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryu Connor on 2002-01-14 17:52 ]</font>

Scorpiuscat
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:10 am

Thanks for the replies.

I ended up having to format and re-install everything, But I still am having some problems. I was getting that seemingly random restarts until I disabled automatic restart in Windows.

I have been having major problems getting the drivers for my sound card installed and some of the restarts occured when the drivers were either installing or after the computer restarts because the driver install was complete.

I still cannot get the sound card to work right, so I think that it might be the root of all my problems.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:52 am

What sound card and motherboard are you using?
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Scorpiuscat
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2002 11:36 am

Sound Blaster Audigy X-gamer and Epox 8K7A mother board.