Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Elite Missionary
Gerbil
Topic Author

Problem installing ANY OS...need major help.

Sun Aug 11, 2002 7:54 pm

Okay...

I have an Antec 1080B case that is using an Antec 430 Watt True Power power supply. My motherboard is a socket 7 FIC PA-2013. My processor is an AMD 450 MHz K6-III+. I have a 128mb module of PC-100. I'm using a Sony floppy drive, a Lite-On 40x/12x/48x CDRW drive, and some old Maxtor 9.51 GB drive.

So here is the problem...

I stick in the Windows XP CD and boot up from the CDRW drive. It gets to the part where it says, "detecting all hardware...please wait...", and then the whole computer just restarts. I go back to booting up with the CD again, and this time it actually gets into the setup program, but freezes at the point where it says, "loading kernel32.dll", or something like that...This kept happening over and over again...

Question 1: Any suggestions for getting Windows XP Professional to work????

So I gave up on Windows XP, and tried to install Windows 98 Second Edition. I use the boot disk to format the drive, under FAT-32 of course, and I stick in the CD. It gets to scanning with scandisk, then after the scan it says, "Getting ready to get into setup...press any key to restart the computer,".................. WTF!?!?!?!? I tried over and over again, most of the time it gets only up to that part, sometimes it finds errors in scandisk, sometimes it doesn't...few times it made it into the setup program...but it always freezes at the first progress meter......

Question 2: Any suggestions for getting Windows 98 Second Edition to work?

This is the last problem...if I press the power button to turn the computer off, and try to press the power button to turn it back on again, all of the 3-pin fans in my computer and my monitor won't work! in order to get them working fine again, the computer needs to be turned off for a certain amount of time, and then everything will work fine again.

Question 3: How come if I turn the computer off using the power button my 3-pin fans and monitor won't work unless I leave the computer off for a certain amount of time????

Thanks everybody...I NEED HELP!!
"Back it up, or shut up."

NeXus 6
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Aug 11, 2002 9:09 pm

I had this problem with an Abit mobo (BH6), which I sent back and got a Soyo mobo. Originally I was told that my hard drive was bad, but that wasn't the case because it worked fine on the Soyo mobo. My guess is that it's either the mobo and/or the hard drive that is going bad. Is everything in the BIOS looking OK? Are all the drives being detected?

Elite Missionary
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Aug 11, 2002 9:17 pm

Yep, all the drives are detected...it has to be the mobo...this is what I get for buying an old, outdated motherboard...I'm just going to completely upgrade now. Thanks for te help.
"Back it up, or shut up."

fc34

Mon Aug 12, 2002 3:16 am

It most probably is the mobo, because when I bought a new one to replace the old one, it worked fine.

pattouk2001
Gerbil Jedi

PSU

Mon Aug 12, 2002 4:34 am

Hi. At the place I work, we had this similar problem, and it turned out to be a faulty PSU, so it might just be worth trying another one of them before having to revert to getting a new motherboard, because socket 7's are very hard to get now, so if it's the motherboard thats faulty, you'll most like have to swap the CPU and possibly memory type too, which will prove to be more expensive than a PSU. I'd recommend trying the PSU first.

newbie_of_jan0502
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 12, 2002 5:45 am

I kinda had the same problem it turned out to be a bad stick of memory.

yarbo
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:25 am

i had a similar problem because i accidently switched the mouse and teh keyboard. really stupid mistake because i was in a hurry to check out my new computer.
<a href=http://www.gentoo.org>Gentoo GNU/Linux</a>

Rudeboy
Gerbil

Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:04 am

Buuuuddie,

90% of the time when your computer reboots while installing an OS you will find that you have bad ram or a bad cpu. I doubt it is your main board. Approach it as a tech would.
1. set bios to defaults
2. perform fdisk on ther drive. If you can do this then the mainboard and hard drive is ok.
3. remove and drives not needed to install the OS ie slaves or extradrives.
4. If you only have one dimm, get another. Install xp using the new dim
5. ensure you cpu is not over heating. Check the temp in the cmos.
6.try a diffrent cd-rom. A bad cdrom may cause this issue.
I would bet that you have bad ram.

GL
I have been censored

NeXus 6

Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:38 am

Not in my case, Rudeboy. I was able to fdisk and format. But, once the OS was getting installed, it would reboot and I would get and invalid disk error. A different motherboard solved my problem.