Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

p645n
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

20 Percent CPU Usage Showing At Idle...Why?

Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:25 pm

I just rebuilt my computer; replacing the motherboard, the RAM, and the OS. For the past two years I've used W2K, a *Great* product. Thanks MicroSoft!

I'm now stumbling through the minefield known as XP Pro, and I have reservations. One of the best features of XP and 2K is the “Task Manager”. It tells me all sorts of things. On this occasion it’s telling me something that I’m unclear of.

My new machine starts much as my old one...after the initial boot the Task Manager shows my CPU Usage History to be one or two percent as long as my computer sits idling. After using the machine for 5 minutes or so the CPU Usage History averages around 25 percent. This then continues once the machine starts idling again. Rebooting the machine starts the whole story over, little or no usage until I do something then away it goes to around 25 percent even if the machine sits for hours.

Selecting the Task Managers Processes tab I shows me that the problem appears to be svchost.exe . I can force that off using “End Process”. As soon as I do that the CPU Usage drops to 0 to 2 percent. Nothing else seems to change, eg. Everything appears the same in the taskbar, no program seems to disappear.

I’ve tried to correct the problem using the “System Restore” feature. I take the machine back to just the OS, upgrades and motherboard and card drivers. The problem does not seem to change.

I’ve really got to figure this out as theoretically this could be a problem with the RAM or the motherboard. If so I only have a few days to exchange those components.

Any help is appreciated...jim
Rats in the hold.
Crews all dead.
I fear the end is near...

yarbo
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:34 pm

find administrative tools, then services. then have fun trying to figure out which one of them is causing problems :)

administrative tools should be in your control panel
<a href=http://www.gentoo.org>Gentoo GNU/Linux</a>

fc34
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:18 am

How much RAM is there, because XP maybe swapping around alot of HDD space if there is insufficent RAM.

p645n
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

20 Percent CPU Usage Showing At Idle...Why?

Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:36 am

I *was* running a 512 meg stick of SamSung DDR. Was because I reformatted my hard drive and installed W2K back onto it. XP Pro is just to damn buggy...I don't have the time to attempt to figure it out. Thanks for your suggestion...jim
Rats in the hold.

Crews all dead.

I fear the end is near...

rpountney
Gerbil In Training

Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:34 pm

If u go into services and stop the service,

GMT Service

This will sort it.
Also change it to manual start so it doesnt bother u again.

It has no dependencies and hasnt caused me any problems (touch wood) with it not running.

Hope this helps.