Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

allCarnage
Gerbil
Topic Author

Setting IRQ's in win2k

Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:41 pm

Anyone know how to change the irq on a device in win2k that doesn't think it has an irq conflict. (even though irq7 is being shared by my sb live, my radeon8500dv my usb and my ethernet card(LNE100tx) ) from what i found in microsoft's knowledge base it was the only time you can change and irq is with a older motherboard(one that is not fully apci compliant) or if you allready have an irq conflict. i really dont want to have to reinstall win2k just so i can install with a different hal, and i was hopeing someone would have a better idea. I've allready updated all my drivers and bios and i've tried moving my nic card to another pci slot and even manualy setting the irq's in bios, but once windows boots up it just ignores all those settings. next i'm going to strip my system and reinstall the cards one at a time. any suggestions?

My system:
FIC ad11 motherboard (VIA chipset of some sort)
AMD 12.ghz 266fsb
512mb ddr 2100
ATI Radeon 8500DV (brand new out of box, slower than my atirage128)
SB Live MP3 5.1
Linksys LEN100TX (nic)
40gig(Maxtor) for system 120gig for data (IBM deskstar GXP) and a 60gig being repaired
Generic 52x cd

I've disabled all the onboard audio and serial/par ports along with the floppy drive to free up irq's

microsoft doc that says i can't change irq's:
Q252420

Thanks in advance!!!!!

allCarnage

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:05 am

Why do you want to change it???

Irq's doesnt matter that much anymore as long as you dont mix too many high bandwidth devices on the same adressline.

Xylker
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:25 am

To change the HAL, you can simply go to the device manager, then update driver for the "computer" right at the top of the list.

Use the option to install a specific driver and choose APM rather than ACPI, that should allow you to use any IRQ that you choose and stop the "sharing" that is occurring

allCarnage
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:48 pm

i have two reason to want to change my irq's, the first being that my frame rate has dropped significantly since replaceing my ati rage 128 with a brand new ati radeon 8500dv. even after reinstalling my os clean and updateing to the latest drivers (and bios) it still grinds to a crawl as soon as there is a decent amount of activity on my screen (more then 5 monsters in diablo II or two people shooting in counter strike) worked fine on my old card but this new one drops to like 1fps. another big reason i'm trying to change the irq is video capture. whenever there is network traffic over my nic whether it's IE or whatever file shareing program i'm using, i get horizontal lines of static on my tv capture proportional to the amount of traffic on my nic. disable the nic or stop downloading and it's instantly clear. i think thats it for my reasons......
ohh yes the sound card skips with the video frame rate as well and it's on the same irq as well.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:48 am

What adresslines do your cards sit on. Normally irq aint so much of a problem as long as you dont mix the adresslines too much.

Look in the mobo manual to see which lines corresponds to which slots. And switch around them so they dont share any adress lines. if that doesnt work, try to switch HAL as Xykler posted.

allCarnage
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:50 pm

well i switched hal's and it did change all my irq's allthough i still can't change them (i think it's listening to my mobo now) and i did put the NIC in a different pci slot so it would be useing a different address line so i could manualy set the irq from the mobo. i think this is what your talking about, but even after all this i'm still having vid capture issues and slow performance.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Sep 06, 2002 6:56 am

Hmm,, i just saw that you use a via mobo. Have you upgraded the via4in1's in a while, or tried the Latency patch that circulates.

Sounds exactly like one of those pci arbiter problems that limits bandwidth.

Good luck.. im going into the woods this weekend so ill check back on monday.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:26 am

The 'everything on machine is on one IRQ!' "problem" isn't. It's not the correct behaivor, but what you see is not what you're getting, in this case. The physical address lines are all assigned the same way they always have been, and those are the important bits. The software IRQ you're seeing makes no difference to the hardware, I'd blame VIA's PCI on this one.

allCarnage
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:34 pm

Well i allready moved my NIC but i have yet to move my soundcard. is the hardware address line you are refering to viewable from bios or from device manager? i think i allready got the nic on a different address line by moving it to another pci slot (acording to bios it is on it's own.) also i do believe i've ran the latest 4 in one, but it's possible i havn't. i'll try that and if shuffeling my pci slots again doen't work either, i'll install xp and see if it works better there. i can't go back to 98 (the 8500dv isn't supported there) so i guess i'm stuck going forward.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:07 pm

The address lines listed in your manual and sometimes in the BIOS are the hardware ones. INT#A, INT#B, and so on.

allCarnage
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:15 pm

yah i did get the nic onto a different address line but i think the sblive is still sharing with the video card so i'll move it as well. i'm thinking about switching to an abit motherboard, or possibly even just starting to put together another system and use this one as a file server on my home network. bt then that requires money... at this point i think i'm gona install xp and see if it helps.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Sep 08, 2002 3:03 pm

It would just be so nice to have Intel motherboards for Athlons.....

Ah well.

allCarnage
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:29 pm

well as it goes i stripped down my system to a singel harddrive and cdrom, the video card and nothing else. i removed every item i could from the device manager (i even removed what i think was a pci controller, and that removed almost everything at that point) and uninstalled all the ati drivers. then after reinstalling and installing just the catalyst drivers and control panels (the two required drivers) it still is as slow as every. at this point i'm thinking either motherboard or video card driver issue or i actualy have a bad card.... o yah i tried both optimized and failsafe setting in my bios.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:33 pm

If you can, ditch the mobo. A new KT333+VT8235 or KT400 mobo will have the new and redesigned Vis southbridge (as opposed to that evil 686B you got there), and it could very possibly kill all your problems in one swat. Just be damned sure to get a fresh copy of Windows on a formatted partition, as Via boards are the worst about transplant OSes.

allCarnage
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:04 am

i think that's what i'll do, and thanks for the mobo suggestion i wasn't sure what to go for. i guess i better put aside some money from my next paycheck =-) at least i'll be able to start putting together another computer as a file server, i'm getting to the point were i have just to many harddrives and still not enough space for all the stuff i'm downloading. anyways, thanks to everyone for all the advice and help :)