Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

rvdsabu4life
Gerbil
Topic Author

Windows 2000 Administrator?

Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:48 pm

Our school recently gave us new laptops as part of the schools renovation. They are HP omnibook 500's. They are running windows 2000 professional. For security reasons, they have no cd-rom drives. Of course we are not trusted with full privledges, so we have our own name and password on a "strict limitation" account. There is no added security other then windows security. My main goal before the year is over is to obtain the administrator name and password (If anyone can help me with this issue, please e-mail me at [email protected]). However something wierd has been happening to my machine lately, occasionaly (Not everytime), when my machine goes on standby, then recovers, I am able to access thing I was not prior able to access. For instance, they restrict us from accessing the desktop control panel. When my machine comes back from standby, I have full acces to that. Also, I have full access to the control panel as well. I am also allowed to add hardware. and a few other things are now accessible. My question is simple, why does this sometimes happen, and how can I make sure this happens all the time? (So I have these privledges) If anyone can help me with this or obtaining the administrator password please post or e-mail. thanks

aristheo
Gerbil First Class

Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:17 pm

I don't think you should be asking these type of questions here at TR. It could get you banned in here. There's a reason why you're not given administrator rights to the laptop. Just be happy that you're lucky enough to get a laptop from your school.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:26 pm

l0phtcrack and a laptop->desktop IDE adapter. I wouldn't do it, though, as it's just not a nice thing to be doing.

kayen
Gerbil In Training

Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:01 pm

if you have access to the control panel when it comes back on, go into users and change the admin password !!

also I think you can use a Linux boot floppy to somehow retrieve or reset the password BUT Im unsure of the details. Do a google

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:19 pm

I've got to agree with aristheo. Privilege elevation hacks aren't really polite discussion here. Please cease and desist.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Kuhtarl
Gerbil XP

Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:07 pm

Without rules, we'd all be up in trees flinging crap at each other.
-Red Foreman.