XP virgin wants some tips...

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2002 7:49 am

K, this will be my first install of XP; I have "installed" my personal "hardware" before so plz no virgin jokes... :wink:

Anyway, I will be doing a fresh install of WinXP onto a brand-new computer this weekend. This system is for someone else, so I really want to get it right. I have checked http://www.tweakxp.com and while it has great tips for specific problems, there is no "beginners guide" as far as I could tell. Does anyone know of any good ones?

This is the hardware for the system:
ECS K7S5A; Xp1700+; 512MB PC2100 DDR; STB Velocity 4400 (until ATI 7500 AIW is avail.); Seagate Barracuda IV; Lite-On LTD-163; Yamaha CRW2200; floppy :smile: Anyone have any issues with these items in particular?

I have done plenty of installs, updates and tweaks of 9x, so that is where my experience lies. So, how does installing XP compare? Similar, easier, harder? I plan on tweaking the system using tweakxp tips and this info.

I will post again with any issues, and TIA for your suggestions!
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2002 12:01 pm

It's the same. Installed one windows, installed 'em all. Just set the bios to boot from a CD, pop in the CD, XP does the rest.

You can't configure the XP setup like you could in Win9x, that's about the only difference I can think of. XP takes a little longer too, gives you an option to format drives as NTFS or FAT32. You shouldn't have any problems.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Feb 11, 2002 6:08 pm

Above message is right, should be fine with the hardware.

The install is very similar to the Win2k install, but anyone who knows how to install Win9x should be fine.
lahaine
Gerbil

Return to Windows