Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Havingfitz
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Win ME display problems

Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:26 pm

This question of for my sister (really it is).

I am not familiar with Win ME, or even sure this problem is related to her OS, but I guess her monitor started displaying a black border around the screen (approx 1 inch along the screen's perimeter) and what would noramally be a 15" Gateway monitor is now displaying about a 13" picture. Does anyone know why the monitor would have developed this black area surrounding the display? She hasn't added any s/w to the computer lately. The only thing she could think of was that she left it on for most of the day. S/w? Monitor fubar'd? Any ideas? Thanks.
Ack Thpppppt!

Zannion
Gerbil First Class

Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:40 pm

try to reinstall the drivers for the graphics card and the monitor itself... if that doesn't work, the monitor may have gone... but they are cheap enough, just go to a computer show, u can get another 15" for only 20$ or so... And another thing, get rid of ME, its the crappiest OS ever released... :wink:

Gershwin
Gerbil XP

Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:22 pm

Dump ME, load Windows 2000 or XP.

Are you positive it is not a simple monitor memory loss (i.e., it lost its programmed settings for that refresh rate and resolution)? You didn't mention trying to make adjustments to the monitor, although I'm guessing that's the first thing you checked...maybe not.

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Fri Oct 11, 2002 1:12 am

I'm with Gershwin, sounds like a monitor memory loss. It may just be a random occurrance, it can also happen when you play around with a refresh rate. Playing with the controls on the monitor (I mean physically on the monitor) won't stretch it back out for you?

BTW: Again, with Gershwin, dump ME. I work tech support at a college, and ME is by far the worst version of windows out there. 2000 and XP are so much better it's not even funny. Hell, even 98 is a lot better.

RipperJones22
Gerbil

Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:30 pm

Have you tried the monitor with a diff CPU i would caus eit may be a hardware problem not a software problem but I also would go with everyone else dump ME it's crap. the only time u keep ME is if you have an HP cause there crap too. If you have a fan by the computer it may be cooling the picture tube. If it's software reinstalkl the drivers and the vid card drivers.