Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

nwforever
Gerbil
Topic Author

Windows XP problem

Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:36 am

After having much trouble installing XP (i had to use a differnt computer harddrive and than install to a slave which was "my" hard drive just to get it to work) but even though i have fresh installed XP on this harddrive i still cant boot up unless i use the other computer hard drive, its like my computer is looking in the wrong spot for the startup files.

i tried to use a command prompt and i tried using my norton CD disk but i cant leave the A: prompt, but i dont have an A drive.

what can i do to get my computer to start? its all there.

fc34
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:58 am

Perhaps try to reinstall.

Or u could type x: in the command prompt to goto the drive letter that you want.

nwforever
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:17 am

but i cant leave A: on the prompt, and i tried using windows 98, ME and XP disc at startup but it tells me its an invalid startup disc.

nwforever
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:19 am

i did notice when i started my parents computer again i had the option to load ME or XP.

that doesnt make sense, i told XP to install the boot records to my hard drive, and than install the XP to my hard drive.

seems like i can only boot thru my parents E machines windows ME hard drive and switch over to mine.

nwforever
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:56 pm

a friend of mine said it might be looking for the startup files on my second hard drive on D: and i now have it as C:

if i switch harddrives do you think it would boot? i would try right now but im still at school.

fc34
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:07 am

what message does it give you when you switch drives??

could it be that your hardware is not compactable or not connected properly??

satchmobob
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:44 pm

hi there, you cant simply install win on a HD on one computer then put that HD in another and boot from it (unless both systems are exactly the same) But try this.
Put the HD in your PC. Go to your bios and (if its Award bios) go to bios features setup and select boot sequence as CDrom first. save this on exit then reboot with ur XP cd in the draw. Then just follow the instructions. If this dont help u may have the wrong type of IDE lead for ur HD (is it a 40 or 80 pin lead?) 8)
If we cannot be free, at least we can be cheap! FZ.

Gandolf
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:26 am

are you sure which hard drive is which make sure your jumpers are on the right settings to make them a master and slave or if you want just one make sure it is master.