Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Aa !2MC
Gerbil
Topic Author

XP Pro to 98 SE : NO HARD DRIVE???

Wed Nov 06, 2002 9:42 pm

I currently am running Windows XP profetional on my computer which is a HP pavilion 8668c. The 28 gig drive is partitioned at 9 gig (C: ) for the primary partition (which has XP OS on it) and the other 18 gig (D: ) is for my files i download and games. Anywase, I tryed to use the system recovery cd that came with the computer to when i bought it and it did its thing like it should have and said it was formatting drive c and installing windows 98 over that drive. When it finished and I restarted instead of coming up in 98 it loaded XP. Apparently it loaded 98 to the other drive, D. So i formatted drive d to erase 98, deleted the partition to extend drive C to its full 28 gig and redid the system restore. Only this time after the restore screen comes up for a few seconds, it tells me theres an error and that i have no hard drive installed and to use FDISK to instilize it if its not already. But when i use FDISK it reconized the drive and says its already instilized. By the way, the drive C is formated in NTSF (because of XP i suppose) and the drive D was FAT32. As far as i can tell the 98 recovery disk cant reconize the drive because its in NTSF format which isnt supported by 98.
It would be a great help if somebody could tell me what to do in this situation.

eric
Gerbil XP

Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:21 pm

Try using your xp upgrade disk to repair the installation, then have xp reformat the drive to fat 32 then redo the 98SE restore.
P4 2.4@ 3.0 Asus P4PE, Corsair PC3200, Leadtek Ti4600, WD 80gig SE, Turtle Beach Sound, Enermax Power

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:37 am

Yep, it's because 98 can't see NTFS partitions. It'll show up under fdisk, but as a non-DOS partition. Your best bet is to fdisk, delete the partition, and create a new one. Shouldn't be a problem from there.

fc34
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:04 am

y would you want to go from XP to 98??

Anyways, u will have to use fdisk to delete the C partition, create it and use format to format it to FAT32, cause 98 cant read NTFS

If u can boot to XP, then just use the format command and reformat the other partition to FAT and install 98 on that drive. If u can only boot to 98, then u need to go to the console in the XP recovery disk and rewrite the MBR to allow dual booting to 98 and XP.

If u can boot anything at all, use another computer to create a DOS startup disk, and then use fdisk to repair the partitions and reinstall either 98 or XP.

Aa !2MC
Gerbil
Topic Author

thanks

Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:14 pm

thanks u guys, problem solved! :D

and fc34, i borowed XP and messed it up bad :( so i had to reinstall an OS and only have 98.....plus, as far as i know the dreamcast to PC hookup only works with 98 :D