Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Bullwinkle
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:41 am

I have installed Windows XP Pro on my desktop. Its a AMD K6-2 500Mhz on an ASUS MOBO, 256 MB ram, 15 GB hard drive, 8 GB secondary hard drive, Geforce2 vid card, 32x cd-rom, 4x2x24 cd burner. The OS is completely installed and had no problems during the setup. My cd burner and CD-rom are on the same IDE cable. I have no other software installed on my system, just the OS. I get a physical memory dump error. It happens randomly, I can be in internet explorer or outlook express and then all of a sudden blue screen of death, physical memory dump. I have upgraded all my drivers.

Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bruce
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:55 am

The first two things I would check are RAM and PSU. A good free memory tester can be found here.

Is this a new box cobbled together from spare bits? Is it a new OS install on a box that was running for months beforehand? Have you upgraded the video card recently?

Bruce

Lao Tze
Gerbil First Class

Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:56 am

Check your RAM...
I used to have a really good one(software), i can't remember the name... Anybody know of a good one???

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 13, 2002 4:34 pm

When your getting the stop error, it generally says where the problem occured, in what module that is. Is it in the same driver file?

Are you using WHCL drivers?

Bullwinkle
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2002 12:53 am

Thank you everyone for your responses. I narrowed it down and found out what the problem was. It was my Netgear NIC. The driver for it was the cause everytime. I switched out the NIC with a 3com card and it has been working fine since.