Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

How much do you modify your Windows copy?

??Huh???!!! What?
No votes
I change the wallpaper settings and occassionally tweak Windows Appearance settings. I avoid the Registry Editor like the Plague.
1 (5%)
I go into the Registry whenever I have to to modify a few things if they run amok. I add a few files to the Windows folder by hand if needed.
14 (70%)
Baby, I've completely given up on Registry maintaning programs and I check the Registry every day for errors.
2 (10%)
I've hacked into almost every Windows file and made Windows 3.1 look like Windows XPRGH... or whatever!!
3 (15%)

Total votes: 20

Crayon Shin Chan
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

How modded is your Windows?

Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:05 am

Basically, this means how much do you tweak your Windows settings, from wallpaper, registry to hacking into Windows files. Your chance to show how good you are at Windows!!
The last option, something with hacking: I don't know whether that's possible or legal. Just put it in there for fun. :lol:
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB
Supply ship: [email protected], 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Thinkpad X230

fc34

Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:34 am

Basically, I havent had the need to change anything really major with the windows OS. However, there are many hidden features of windows that can be discovered only by editing the registry, and I usually only edit the registry for improvement tweaks to the OS.
Windows XP - The 64-bit wannabe with a 32-bit graphics interface for 16-bit extensions to a 8-bit patch on a 4-bit operating system designed to run on a 2-bit processor by a company that can't stand 1-bit of competition

b3n113

Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:31 am

I don't even bother. I'd only start messing with the registry if I could make the GUI less bloated. Keep it clean, damnit I wish I could run fluxbox on my XP box..

etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:53 am

Messing with Windows? There's no UNDO button for certain features, and it's a pain sometimes to get it to work the way its supposed to work, so I'd rather leave it as it is. The only SAFE thing i suppose is changing wallpaper. Don't keep too many system restore points either, they take up space.
*yawn*

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:29 am

b3n113 wrote:
I don't even bother. I'd only start messing with the registry if I could make the GUI less bloated. Keep it clean, damnit I wish I could run fluxbox on my XP box..

Is blackbox close enough for you?

http://bb4win.sourceforge.net/

dolemitecomputers

Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:39 am

I usually dont edit too much since I have some programs that do it for me. Sometimes I mess around with a hex editor but I havent in a while.
For really clean interface you should check out litestep or blackbox for windows. I'll post a link to a screenshot of my desktop later.

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:57 pm

stability is key for me, usually don't notice a 1/2 of nanosecond speed increase. So i tweak to get everything running the way I need it too, get the GUI the way I like it. Good stable drivers ect. Then I leave it alone. I use to mess around all the time, new drivers when they came out whether i needed them or not, new BIOS flashes, 4 in 1 drivers, all that junk used to updated them all the time, tweak the regestry, add the "power tweaking" programs, beta programs all that jazz, but then i was formating and restalling the OS every month or so cause things would start to bog down, or not work right. Now I just use WinXP, change what i need to change and let it be. I leave my PC going 24/7 when not in use it's running United Devices cancer program. When its in use, i'm working on Webpages, or surfing the net, emails, listening to MP3s or playing games.

b3n113

Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:50 pm

mattsteg wrote:
b3n113 wrote:

Is blackbox close enough for you?

http://bb4win.sourceforge.net/

Heh, I get a Index of / - blank directory tree.

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:42 am

Its all about the stability baby! Ive found that, while tweaking Windows may be addictive, it isnt all that great. Sure, there are a few things I tweak, but Im pretty happy with XP Pro, and 2K Pro. I hope to get into some Slackware shortly...
Twitter: @xmunos

jsbach11
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:13 am

...new BIOS flashes...

I think it's far too risky to upgrade, or flash, the BIOS every time an upgrade, or release, comes out. If something goes wrong during flashing, like the system power fails, say from a blackout, the chip is toast. That's a major headache right there because the rest of the motherboard (and all of the computer) no longer functions. And for what? Did the new BIOS update even fix a problem?

I think it's a good rule of thumb to only flash the BIOS, if a person has a definite need to fix something wrong or if something less serious is truly bugging them, has read the documentation about the release and what it fixes, and then reads at least a little about how to flash properly.

(I'm not saying that your updates were not necessary).

dolemitecomputers

Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:43 am

Sometimes it depends on what board you have. Most of the newer Abit boards ,for example, will allow you boot to the floppy drive if you fail flashing the BIOS.

LJ
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:39 am

There isn't a win32 port of fvwm2, is there? It would be nice to have a flexible, customizable, lightweight and powerful GUI for windows. As it stands, windows' GUI sucks. God, you don't even get virtual desktops...