Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Moving icons in Win2K

Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:39 pm

Every once in a while when I leave an app and go back to my desktop some of my icons have been moved. Because of my wallpaper I have arranged them in a certain way. (grouped together by type of app.(games in one corner, accessories in another...etc.))

There is no pattern to this at all, sometimes it happens after playing a game, sometimes when I leave the net.

Is this something I should be worried about, or just re-arrange them, and accept it?

:-?
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

BigGeek
Gerbil

Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:04 pm

I have the same issue but mostly with DX 7.0 games and lower. I since switched to XP and have not had that problem come up.

YeuEmMaiMai
Gerbil

Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:17 pm

it has to do with the game switching to a lower res than your desktop. most newer DX apps and OGL apps save your screen state before they switch res and restore it back to the way it was before the res change took place. If the app does not save the screen state then your icons are all messed up. I believe that XP does save screen state before switching apps so you no longer have to worry about bad programs messing with your settings
Strong or weak in the end we are all dead.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:13 pm

Yeah, id games are infamous for this behavior, for example. Really annoying.