Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

qman
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Windows XP Drive Mapping Problem

Fri Dec 13, 2002 6:39 pm

I added a Windows XP (Home Edition) notebook to my dentist's small peer to peer network in his office. He has 2 Windows 98SE workstations besides this new notebook. One of the two 98 machines has his dental software and accounting data on it. The other is just used as a workstation and pulls the data from the first workstation. Everything works fine between those two machines.

I added a new Windows XP (Home Edition) notebook to the network, but I am having trouble with the drive mappings. I have three directories on one of the 98 boxes shared and they are mapped to three seperate drives on the XP machine. Once I reboot the XP machine the drive mappings get disconnected. They still show up in My Computer, but they have a red X on them saying they are disconnected. If I try to run an application that uses data from one of those mapped drives it can't find it. However, if I just go into My Computer and double click on the drive it will see everything and I can go back and get into what ever I want. Can you think of anything I can do to keep those drives connected all the time besides the obvious of getting a real server...

Thanks,

QMAN

nulfire
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:13 pm

Jesus, qman: Why didn't you just call me?

BTW, how's the kid?

Anywho, NO SERVERS FOR XP HOME. It won't join a domain. You'll need XP Pro for that. Sorry!

Now, for the drive mappings. Try using this at a cmd prompt on the XP machine: net use x: \\computer name\share name /persistent. Disconnect your network drives first. See if that helps.

If it doesn't, make a batch file with this command and throw it in the startup folder. This will force the machine to connect the drive after each reboot. And yeah, this is a workaround!

Also, I have heard of weird network limitations with XP Home...I always tell clients to get Pro, it does networking really good. However W2K just rules.

Hope that helps!

nulfire

aka: dak

pissedoffwookie
Gerbil

Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:54 am

its /persistent:yes and works in all flavors of NT and can also be used to map LPT1 to a network point so all you do is print locally and it will get sent to remote printer

'net use' is a great all around workaround
PissedOffWookie

P4 2533Mhz
512MB RAM
Geforce II PRO
80 GB WD SE HD

HP Ipaq 3835
128MB SD flash memory
802.11b