Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

JavaMoose
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Evil "Messenger Service" in XP Pro?

Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:31 am

Hey all,
Was wondering if anyone had gotten these. With NOTHING running except standard XP Pro processes. MSN Messenger shut down and removed (Well, as well as you can remove it). No KaZaa or anything else. SP1 installed. I keep getting these random popups, always in the morning when I come back to my machine (Leave it running all night). Check it out;

and;

Anyone else get these? The blurred section is my IP. Any ideas on how to stop?? First one I ever got (didn't save it!) said "This messege is able to be sent to your via a windows security hole, click here to find out how to fix it!" Needless to say, I DIDN'T click there. Thanks in advance for the help.

killab
Gerbil In Training

Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:52 am

I think u can stop this by turning off Windows Messenger Service. (This is NOT the same as MSN Messenger)
In Control Panel go to Administrative Tools > Component Services > Services & then in right side pane, scroll down to Messenger. (In the description it will say this is used for Net Sends. Stop it & then set it to Disabled on startup.
That should take care of it.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:59 am

Yeah, just disable the service. Also, it would be very wise to run a firewall of some sort as well.

JavaMoose
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Yay!

Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:14 am

Very cool. Thanks for the help. That looks like it should fix it, thanks again! :D

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:15 pm

I would also run <a href="http://www.lavasoftusa.com/">Ad-aware</a> just for fun. It's good at finding hidding programs.