Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

JimiH
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

How to remove url's from dropdown menu in IE ??

Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:36 pm

Hello eveyone. I have a little problem that I hope you can help me with. You see, I ah..went into some web sites that I should not have gone to, this pc being used by other family members, you know, and now a couple of very unfamily sounding addresses got stuck in the dropdown menu in the address line. Please help me find the way to get rid of the them, short of reintalling the OS! I looked in the Internet Options section, but I didn't see anything there. Is there a fairly easy way to delete these? I will be very grateful for any help on this. Thank you!

red0510
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:08 pm

Right-click on your desktop taskbar; properties; click advanced tab; select clear from the list.

You should also go into your history folder in IE and delete the entries that appear there. Just right-click and delete.

And last, in IE go to Tools>Options>Delete cookies. Some of those unfamily-like sites throw a cookie at you.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:09 pm

See here:

http://www.tech-report.com/forums/viewt ... ght=#14302

If you're trying to hide where you're going from people, then maybe you should show some self control and not go to these sites.

The only problem you'll have is that when someone types a URL in the address bar, all addresses with that letter willl still pop up.
Last edited by Hoser on Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:11 pm

in Nelson from Simpsons voice:

HAHA

:lol:

the drop down address menu is cleared simply by clearing history.
tools- internet options - clear history.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

smakkythecamel
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:26 pm

You might also want to delete the temporary files which get stored from webpages to make them load quicker.

Go into the control panel - internet options and select Delete Files (tick the 'Delete all offline content' also). In this option box you can clear the history and remove cookies as well.

JimiH
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:16 pm

Red, I right clicked on the taskbar, went to properties and got Taskbar Properties with a tab labelled Taskbar Options and another tab labelled Start Menu Programs. Neither option looks like it will touch the URL's in the dropdown menu. Am I missing something?

I am familiar with how to delete items in the history files, so that's done. In the Internet Options, I don't see anything that refers to cookies. Maybe it's because I have an older version of IE. It's at least 3 years old, but right now I don't know where to find the version number.

Nobody's else advice worked either, but I just found the solution! I never even thought of doing this until now, in desperation, but if you right click on the word "address" that appears just to the left of the beginning of the address line, you get 5 options that can be checked or unchecked. One of them is "Links". Unchecking this cleared whole dropdown menu! And it will probably stay empty.

Hoser, there are a lot of things that I should do more of and a lot of things that I should do less of, but those long lists don't belong in this forum. But thanks for trying.

Danny, yeah, it's funny....now. And no, clearing the history will not effect on the dropdown menu.

Smakky, yeah, I'm familiar with that too. But thanks for the effort.

I have been cussing that whole right click thing for years, because you never know where you should right click. Well this time it just may have saved my rear, and other parts. Thanks to all who made the effort. And just maybe, I contributed a little to the knowledge base of this board.

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:19 pm

To check version of IE: Help menu, About Internet Explorer.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:29 pm

yeah..
what version of IE do you have?

in version 6 clearing the history clears the location bar also.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

JimiH
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:37 pm

I have IE 5. Ok, maybe I was too hasty. [b]If [/b]the Links option that I mentioned above is unchecked, then clearing the history files will clear the dropdown menu. I just did it again and got it to work for the second time.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:25 pm

Didna have fun gettin rid of all the popups after visitin those sordid sites?? :lol:

Hockster
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:08 am

:lol:
Windows XP | Pentium 4 2.53GHz | 512MB PC800 RDRAM | 120GB Hard Drive | GeForce4 Ti 4600 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card | Altec Lansing ADA885 Speakers | 3Com 10/100 NIC | 18” Monitor | 3DMark2001SE=12613

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:24 pm

JimiH :

Try the following, and you'll actually see what I mean:

-clear the address bar by left clicking once on the URL and pressing delete

-press the first letter of one of these sites you were at

-notice how IE brings up it's own drop down bar of all the sites you've been to.

This is what I was referring to at the end of my post.

If you're going thru all this headache to avoid being caught, then wouldn't it be easier just to not go there.?
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran