Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

mortyuk
Gerbil
Topic Author

Problem with A:/ Drive

Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:14 pm

I had a virus, which i found and delted, it corrupted a number of my driver files, including my webcam, my scannner, and a number of other things.

It also somehow changed my A:/ drive from a 3.5, to a 5 Inch one? The floppy drive won't work, and I want to format my hard drive and do a complete reinstall.

I went into to system properties, and i got this message:

"Drive A is using MS-DOS comatibility mode File system"

how can i change this back?

I am operating on Win ME * hides in shame*, I also wanted to know do i need to make a " boot disk" or something before i format?

I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks

Andrew
The neeeeeeeeeed for speed

ericfulmer
Gerbil XP

Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:06 pm

Hey-

I think you can disable that MS DOS compatability mode in the Device Manager in System Properties.

As for the reformat and rebuild... you have to know if you have the original CD for your software. If so, then no boot disk is required, but you will need to make sure your bios is set to read the CD for bootable disc before checking the hard drive. Once that is set just reboot with the windows CD and you are on the road again.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Don't forget to backup your files!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, this may be a time to migrate to WinXP, IMHO the best Windows OS ever. The full version can be found for <$100 online.

-E!
-Eric

Please don't quote me on this.

mortyuk
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:46 am

…. Thanks…… I have removed the profile for my floppy, but how do I now get it to recognise that I have a floppy, and that it is a 3.5, because when I re-started it automatically “ found new hardware” and installed the drivers for a 5 Inch drive? Can I get updates or a new driver somewhere for a 3.5? Also I do have a recovery disk, that came with my OEM version of ME… Im hoping those are the right CD’s.

I don’t know how to check my bios, or even get into it, what would I be looking for?……….. and yea, once I have a comp that works, im going to get XP Pro

Thanks,

Andrew

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:08 pm

To get into the bios of your computer, you have to depress the delete key on the computers post screen(where it shows you the cpu, mem, drives recogized..etc) this has to be done before the computers os loads or you will have to reboot and try it again. Scroll thru the different options(enter everyone just FYI) until you find the one containing the A drive, that should be set as first boot device....when that is done...scroll to save and exit...depress enter(twice) and your back in biz :lol:

mortyuk
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:29 pm

Thanks a lot for your help....sorry im a bit of a retard when it comes to OS.