Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Daughter + PC = Prompt !?!

Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:16 pm

Currently my boss has asked me a question about his laptop. Over the weekend his daughter came into town, and used his laptop to check how her business is doing. However when she was done with the computer (shut it off). A problem aroused, now whenever my boss powers up his old Windows 98 laptop a password prompt comes up. He’s not having a problem in getting into his computer at all, but he does have it click cancel to gets in. In the upcoming months he has a chance to sell his laptop computer to someone else. In order to sell it he needs this weird password prompt problem to be fixed. However I have no idea what to do. So if anyone knows please help.

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:45 pm

First off, do a search find any *.pwl files and delete them

Right click network neighbourhood, properties
Select windows logon from the drop down box.
In properties for client for ms networks select quick logon.

Ok your way out of that it will want to reboot
When it reboots it should be gone, if not, click OK (dont enter a pass) let it get to desktop, reboot, it should not be there.

Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Birmingham ENGLAND (some say Mars, or was it Uranus)

Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:11 pm

;) Yeah, you could also try installing TweakUI as that has a few options which are otherwise hidden or hard to locate in Windows. You may also have to delete any unused user accounts.

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:40 pm

To remove that password prompt just remove the client for microsoft networks and family logon (if its there) protocols from network neighborhood then reboot. Shouldnt appear anymore. If it keeps coming up you might need to check the password icon in control panel. Make sure the option "all users use the same preferences" is checked.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:18 pm

And tell him to tell his damned daughter that logging on and off means jack **** on a 9X machine, and it pisses all the other users off.

Too many of my friends have passwords on their 9X boxen, on the assumption it makes them more secure.

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:20 pm

haha! secure!

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:15 am

Thanks for the everyone. Now I have a new problem :o He just called me up saying "I downloaded the driver updates for my laptop specifically the lucent modem." "Then it asked me for the Windows disk I didn't have, now I can't even connect to the internet all I get is an error." My solution I told him was to go to Lucent's site and download the most current driver for his modem. However now I just realized that he may have trouble doing this. In addition to that I'm wondering if my advice would even fix the problem?

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:20 am

Tell him to try again.... WITH the requested Windows CD.

Most likely the driver wants files off the CD that aren't part of a standard install.

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:38 am

His modem doesn't work now thanks to that driver update he downloaded from the Windows Update site. Since he didn't have the Windows CD it did something to the working driver for that modem in the laptop. I was wondering how I can go about fixing the modem so he can connect to the internet. That's my first priority.

Freon
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:47 am

Every time you do anything to network or dialup networking in Windows 9x, it will ask for the Windows CD. I don't know of any way to get around this. Even if you were to put the drivers on a CD or floppy, Windows will still ask for the OS CD.

If the manufacturer's image of the OS is still on the laptop, the CAB files (driver files on the Win9x CD) may actually be copied onto the harddrive. Look in /windows/options/cabs or do a search for any file over 5MB with a .CAB extension. If you do find the CAB files, you can point Windows to look in that directory when it asks for the OS CD.

DIREWOLF75
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:38 pm

Bah, you often dont need the CD, just the windows programmers making fun of you.

When it asks for a file, note down the names of the files, then use the standard search function in explorer, then for simplicities sake, copy all them files to a separate directory. Next time you boot up, tell it to look for the files in that directory.

Damn idiots at MS are brainless(or if they did it on purpose, EVIL bastards), why request the CD when 9 out of 10 times the files are already on the HDD.

Done this myself several times before i got a friends copy of WIN98(my own CD had been in a bit of an accident).