Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

DunKnow
Gerbil
Topic Author

laaaaaaaggggg and more

Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:55 am

hey guys what up....i dont know exactly whats going on, but ever since i came back from x-mas break, my computer's been acting a little, well WACK....
basically everything is lagging...like im on tech-report right now, if i go to the taskbar and click on Winamp everything will pause for a little bit, like 2-3 seconds, but the songs will keep playing and then i have to maximize another application then i can maximize winamp...and if i click more than one application on the taskbar, they just start blinking and stuff....
this wasnt happening before, or atleast not this bad...
also...today i decided to use a new IDE cable and hooked up my WD 120GB to my 48xburner...startup seems a little faster but thats flawed too........just right now i went to click on "Subject:" and it took about 3-4 seconds for the cursor to blink....this is getting VERY annoying
the start up flaw.....everytime i start up, whether i shut down/restart properly or not, i get a black screen saying my HDs need to be checked for consistency....
im running windows2k on my AMD xp1800+...im thinkn about trying another copy of win2k if that will make any difference
also i updated my drivers for NVidia ti4200 today...and VIA 4in1, the Hyperion or whatever...could they make a difference
helpppppppp
thanks
holla

etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:15 am

Probably your HD is lagging.. but its new, so that shouldn't be it.. I don't know if you're supposed to hook up your CD burner to the same IDE channel as your HD.

You might want to open the Task Manager to see if CPU is on 100% load when you're doing all these things. If that is the case, you might want to check out the Processes tab to see which one is hogging all the resources.
*yawn*

etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:17 am

PS.. you might want to roll back your drivers to see if that would help.
*yawn*

DunKnow
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:22 am

etilena wrote:
Probably your HD is lagging.. but its new, so that shouldn't be it.. I don't know if you're supposed to hook up your CD burner to the same IDE channel as your HD.

i did that cuz i posted here a while back about making so many coasters out of cds...the guys said to hook it up like that to cut that down and to cut down burn time....its about a 3 minute burn for a 48x right? nooope my cds are 6 minute cds...horrid
holla

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:32 am

Your IDE configuration should be fine. The only time you should be wary is hooking up your CD reader to your CD burner when making direct copies. This tends to lead to buffer underrun and some other annoying problems. I would try defragmenting the drive, but that shouldn't make a huge difference, especially because that drive sounds pretty new. You said that you installed new video card drivers right? I know that before I installed drivers for my Geforce3, windows lagged up the butt. If all else fails, try a clean install.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

DunKnow
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:35 am

aiite man ill try going back to the older drivers...hopefully i either have em or can find em
thanks again....any and all suggestions still appreciated
holla

DunKnow
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jan 26, 2003 5:56 am

DunKnow wrote:
aiite man ill try going back to the older drivers...hopefully i either have em or can find em
thanks again....any and all suggestions still appreciated
holla

hey i think its ok now...hopefully im not speaking too soon
thanks again
hollaaaaa