Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

etilena
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

How to do a network install on Win2k?

Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:25 am

I have a laptop, but the CDROM's a bit stuffed, so I'm wondering if there's anyway I can do a new install via a LAN card on it coz it's kinda slow now?

Thanks.
*yawn*

Steel
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:56 am

You'll need some way to get the i386 directory on the hard drive. One way is to use the DOS client for Microsoft networking with a DOS or Win9x boot disk:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/Clients/msclient/

It's been a while since I've done this but I do remember I had to make the network disk seperate from the boot disk so all the files would fit.

Oh, and then you go to the i386 directory and run "winnt".

etilena
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:17 pm

I have a Win2k disc, a WinME bootdisk, what was this thing about a network disk that I need? I just need some general guidelines, thanks.
*yawn*

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:48 pm

You can download a floppy bootdisk for 2K. It works fine, just takes up 6 floppies. Look on the microsoft website for the download.

Steel
Global Moderator

Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:03 pm

Ok, now that I have more time to rattle around in the dusty attic that is my memory, here's what I remember having to do...(I've never tried this with WinME, so you'll have to let me know if this works)

First download the dos network client disks from the link above and extract them to a floppy (they'll both fit on one disk). Now take your WinME bootdisk and FDISK and FORMAT your laptops hard drive (single FAT32 unless you want to get fancy ;)). You don't have to make the hard drive bootable, in fact, it's probably best you don't.

Now for the network installation. Before you start, make sure you have a driver disk for your network adapter (and if it's a PCMCIA network card, you'll need card and socket services for DOS, too). Run the MS client setup from the disk you made earlier. It will need to modify the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS on your boot disk so don't put that away just yet. Install it on C:\NET and make sure you use the NetBEUI protocol instead of IPX, it'll make things simpler later. On the other computer (the one you'll be installing Win2K from) install the NetBEUI protocol and share your Win2K CD. Now boot up the notebook and if everything went OK you'll have access to the other computer through the network.

All that's left is to map the shared CD with a command like "net use d: \\WINCOMP\CDROM" (depending on what your computer and share are called) and changing to D:\I386 and running "winnt" to start the install.
Good luck. :)