Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Win2000 won't show pictures

Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:41 pm

I am having problems with Windows 2000. It won't display pictures on web sites. All it shows are placemarkers. I am wondering if maybe I have the security settings set wrong. I have tried several settings with no luck, as well as advanced settings under Internet Explorer. Any ideas on how to get this straight? Thanks!

The Swamp
I wish I had gone to med school.

yarbo
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:57 pm

tools->internet options->advanced->multimedia->show pictures and show image download placeholders
<a href=http://www.gentoo.org>Gentoo GNU/Linux</a>

God in Training
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:09 am

You didn't mention whether you are using Internet Explorer. If not, let us know the browser, the browser version, and the Windows version (2000 Home, 2000 Pro, SP1, SP2, SP3).

If you can right-click on the place-holder, choose Show Picture and have the image come up, then Yarbo's suggestion is most likely.

If not, it may be either security settings (such as ActiveX disabled) or missing plug-in (such as Java or Shockwave). I don't have Shockwave loaded at work, and any time a page loads that would run it, I get a placeholder. Of course, I also have fairly high security settings (ActiveX completely disabled, for example).
Idealist at work.

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:57 am

Actually, I think it was the website I was looking at. It was a site for people with Mazda 6's and if you try to view one entry, the browser will not show the pictures of the car, or show pictures if you continue to use that browsing window. So, I think it was the site, not the browser.

BTW, I have Internet Exploder 6 with SP1 installed. Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

The Swamp
I wish I had gone to med school.