XP Pro losing network sync or something

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Postposted on Wed Mar 06, 2002 3:07 am

Hi,
I've been having this odd problem with XP pro that I can't figure out. I have DSL that I never used to have problems with at all. For some reason, though, with XP after a while of my computer being on (sometimes an hour, sometimes longer), my computer can't see the network anymore. My computer still claims that it's logging into the network and all's hunky dorey, but when I try to open any site, I get the "White Unavailable Page of Doom." My email also can't connect up to my account.

It seems like to me that XP goes into a lockdown mode to prevent intrusion through the internet, but I can't find documentation to support this idea, so my underlying feeling is that it's just plain scwewy. Any Ideas anyone?

Athlon 1.2Ghz Tbird
ASUS A7V 1.09 BIOS
512MB CAS2 Crucial Ram
100GB WD 7200RPM
60GB GXP75 7200RPM
Toshiba 12X DVD
Toshiba 40X CD-Rom
Lite-On 24X10X40
Geforce3 Ti200 @210/500
SB Live MP3+
Real Hollywood + Mpeg Decoder
Intel 21041-Based PCI Ethernet Adapter
Wirespeed DSL Modem
Nikto
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Wed Mar 06, 2002 3:37 am

"my computer can't see the network anymore"
Do you mean a home network or just get onto your ISP? Did you use windows 2000 before this? Work right? When you restart the computer does it automatically start working again?
It could be something to do with XP's built-in firewall. You could try turning that off and see if it still croaks.
Coldfirex
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Mar 06, 2002 3:51 am

No home network, just my ISP. Before XP I used ME/98. Was a clean install so buildup not problem. When I restart it does start working fine.

I suspected the built-in firewall as well and disabled it, but I still get same response. I have Zone Alarm and disabled it after the problem appeared, but didn't solve the problem. Rather frustrating... :sad:
Nikto
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Wed Mar 06, 2002 4:39 am

Does your event log give any indication was going on? Tried updating the drivers to your nic? Dunno, but here are a few rips as shots. Good Luck!

Change the setting in Internet Properties/Conenction to Never dial a connection.
--------------------------------------
in a dos window (cmd.exe)
Type ipconfig /release
Type ipconfig /renew
------------------------------------

"Why does my home ADSL line lose its connection whenever I pick up the phone?

First of all, make sure you have placed the filters you were provided in the self-install kit or by the installation tech on every phone, fax, or modem connection on the same line as your DSL connection (except, of course, the DSL modem itself). The simplest thing to do is just plug a filter straight into each wall jack except the one to which your DSL modem is connected. (And if you need to connect a phone or other device to that jack, plug it in to the splitter on the phone side)

If you have all the filters installed, there is another possible issue. You may find that whenever you pick up or put down the phone, the DSL modem loses its connection for a few seconds and has to re-sync (you can see this in interrupted downloads or media streams, as well as by watching the lights on the modem; if it starts blinking amber instead of green, it has lost its connection and is trying to recover it).

This can be caused if there is a Maintenance Test Unit (MTU) on your line. An MTU is a small circuit the phone company can use for remote line testing. They are being phased out because they have been found to interfere with data transmission, but if you experience this sort of problem, you can call the telephone repair hotline at 611 to find out if you have an MTU on your line and to have them remove it."

"Q: I lose line sync regularly (#209)
A: Frequent loss of line sync (the usually green light on your DSL modem goes out, blinks, turns yellow or red, and the Internet is suddenly unreachable) can be because:

You have line noise

Your modem is faulty

Your CO DSLAM has a line card problem

Frequent CO DSLAM upgrades that are not communicated to you.

If the problem is regular - for example, at roughly the same time almost every day and it lasts for some time, you should investigate whether or not local line interference is the root cause. This could be: street lights going on, local transmitting towers of any kind, lights or electrical devices in or around the home that are possibly routed near your inside wiring. Unfortuntately, having guessed this is the cause, it is often very hard to correct.. even another copper line might have the same problem.

If you suspect modem malfunction, check for heat, replace the modem if you can, if it is an internal modem, change slots and try running with minimum other internal cards (remove SCSI cards, soundblaster cards and so on), to verify the root cause is not a plain old windows hardware conflict problem.

If all else fails, it may be a marginal card in the CO DSLAM, that is causing your line problems. Suggest (although this might be ignored) that the DSLAM card get re-seated, or you are swapped to another card."
Coldfirex
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:51 am

On 2002-03-06 03:39, Coldfirex wrote:
Does your event log give any indication was going on? Tried updating the drivers to your nic? Dunno, but here are a few rips as shots. Good Luck!

Hey that's beautiful. I didn't know about the event log. I can't find anything especially incriminating, but I'll log the next time it happens and check it out. Thanks for the info.
Nikto
Gerbil Team Leader

Return to Windows