Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Bizzaro
Gerbil
Topic Author

longhorn

Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:22 pm

i cant say where bcz of forum rules but i will say that i saw a longhorn alpha available for d/ld today. im surprised as hell. i thoough longhorn was at least a year away from alpha.
it rings in at a 515mb iso.
cant say if its a hoax or not.............yet :evil:

i guess i can go so far as to say i came across it while doing a linux mandrake iso search.

yarbo
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:16 pm

I've seen talk of it on other forums. I'm not interested in any Windows with product activation. I'll probably stick around with Win2k until I'm ready for Linux (it's still a bit intimidating for me).
<a href=http://www.gentoo.org>Gentoo GNU/Linux</a>

element
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: longhorn

Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:38 pm

Bizzaro wrote:
i cant say where bcz of forum rules but i will say that i saw a longhorn alpha available for d/ld today. im surprised as hell. i thoough longhorn was at least a year away from alpha.
it rings in at a 515mb iso.
cant say if its a hoax or not.............yet :evil:

i guess i can go so far as to say i came across it while doing a linux mandrake iso search.

It's not a hoax, it's the real thing and it's been in warez chanels on IRC for download for a long time now.

It's even been reviewed by activewin. Suppose to come out end of 2004, but don't exclude 2005.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking

Nuclear
Gerbil

Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:54 pm

I am currently running it on my dual to see how it looks and to see where windows is going. Beside the enormous memory usage (300 megs at startup), it is running quite fine.
Most of the memory usage comes from the next windows file system named windows future storage

mac_h8r1

Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:04 pm

link???
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

Bizzaro
Gerbil
Topic Author

hmm

Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:22 pm

been out of the scene for a while. things have changed, in some cases, much for the worse. the voting always pissed me off, but now its part of sites that i used to use. i remember forum discussions where we all said we'd let the scene die b4 we started with ratios or votes.
bull stuff i guess

back to longhorn, i wouldnt install it on your computer nvr mind letting it touch mine. im just curious. longhorn, if i remember correctly, is supposed to be the first o/s to support 64bit computing. thats worth checking out with a "corp" key. but not until i get a 64 (x84?) chip that actually processes that fast.
going by memory here so my facts may be wrong or outdated.

Nuclear
Gerbil

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:22 pm

bizarro
Currently, windows 2000 has a special edition for itanium, and windows 2003 has edition for itanium and should have one for opteron soon

Currently, in build 4008, there is a new windows theme called plex, a new windows bar on the side by default with a hideous clock on it.

if you want some screenshot, there are some on http://www.winsupersite.com

element

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:42 pm

"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking

mac_h8r1

Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:06 am

Thanks, but I was asking for a link to an ISO download
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Slivovitz owns you.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:12 am

Not here, you won't get one. That's considered warez, and is a post deletion offense.

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:16 am

mac_h8r1 wrote:

Hah, I bet you were... Im also wanting a gold plated toilet seat, but some things just aren't going to happen. :)
Twitter: @xmunos

mac_h8r1

Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:16 am

UGH, that's right.....didn't even cross my mind. :oops:
I didn't think that alpha software was considered warez.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Slivovitz owns you.

Bizzaro
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:17 am

Nuclear wrote:
bizarro
Currently, windows 2000 has a special edition for itanium, and windows 2003 has edition for itanium and should have one for opteron soon

Currently, in build 4008, there is a new windows theme called plex, a new windows bar on the side by default with a hideous clock on it.

if you want some screenshot, there are some on http://www.winsupersite.com

thnks for the info. i didnt realize there was so much info available on it already!! ie. didnt cross into my radar on casual searches while wasting time at work.
your right about the clock and i hate sidebars witha apssion ever since my first ati rage fury pro card put one on my desktop by default. that sent me through the roof!

Bizzaro
Gerbil
Topic Author

and then....

Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:22 am

mac_h8r1 wrote:

lol, Lol, LOl, LOL, and roflmao.
not making fun of you per se, more like appreciating the boldness you exhibit.

shouldnt be too hard for you to find if you are creative with your google searches and willing to fight through some persistant pop ups, or if your crazy enough to use irc channels w/o knowing someone. beware the bots!!!